Chapter 27

I watched out the window as the sun began to rise, causing golden light to shine through the glass and reflect throughout the room.

I had spent all day and night in Theo's room, only popping out to go to the bathroom or to grab a snack. Logan had come and sat with me for a little bit, but he had errands to run, and needed to get everything prepared for tomorrow.

My heart rate quickened at the thought of The Whipping, and I ran my hands down my face, closing my eyes and sighing, an overwhelming feeling of anxiety building up inside of me.

I gazed at Theo, who was still motionless, his chest barely moving up and down as he took in small laboured breaths. I turned my head as the click of the door echoed throughout the room, seeing the doctor enter, smiling at me sadly.

"He still hasn't woken up," I stated, studying the doctor's eyes as her eyebrows furrowed.

"His body needs time. He was as close to death as you can get."

I shook my head, closing my eyes for a few seconds, taking in deep breaths. "Is he ever going to wake up?"

The doctor gazed at me, her face turning blank as she stood there; her mouth set in a firm line. "I wouldn't be able to tell you."

I nodded, understanding that she didn't want to give me any false hope. There was a part of me that just didn't want to accept that Theo may be gone, but I knew the sooner I came to the realisation that it could be a possibility, the better.

"Thank you," I mumbled as I exited the room, making my way out of the hospital, towards Jordan's house. I plodded down the path slowly, taking in the crisp autumnal morning air, allowing it to enter my lungs and almost cleanse my body.

The village was quiet, and I knew there wouldn't be much trading today. People knew The Whipping was happening, and most people would be wanting to come and watch.

I didn't doubt some would already be at the clearing, wanting to save a space so they had the best view of all the action.

I shivered at the thought, remembering the searing pain from the whip as it met my flesh, causing my heart to pick up speed.

I pushed the awful memory back down as I reached the front door, quickly making my way up the wide marble steps and into the bathroom. I stripped of my dirty clothes and hopped in the shower, lathering the shampoo into my hair.

The steamy hot water soothed my skin, relaxing my tense muscles, sending me into bliss.

Once I was finished, I wrapped myself in a fluffy towel, brushed my teeth, and made my way into the bedroom, fumbling around in the chest of drawers full of clothes that Heather had gifted to me.

I settled on a white knitted sweatshirt and black jeans, having to roll the bottom of the jeans up multiple times due to Heather's tall stature.

I decided against breakfast, knowing my stomach wouldn't be able to handle it, and pushed the front door open, only to see Logan walking up the path, smiling at me.

He pulled me into a hug, planting a soft kiss on the top of my head, his arms embracing me tightly, sending tingles to spread throughout my body.

I pulled back, analysing Logan's tense face, knowing he was as nervous as I was.

"Eliza, I'm still not sure you should come. I don't know if you'll be able to handle seeing your pack." he  said, grabbing my arm softly.

I swallowed nervously, shaking my head. "Logan, I'm coming."

"I don't want you to," he whispered, staring at me, his grip on my arm tightening slightly, looking between the door to the house and me.

I shook my head, growling lowly under my breath. "Don't do it."