Chapter 15

After a few minutes of relaxing silence, Logan took my hand, leading me back into the kitchen, but I made sure to pull away from him before any eyes landed on us, not wanting to cause any questions to be asked.

As we rounded the corner, I noticed a tall woman had now occupied the kitchen, grabbing a handful of cutlery as she neatly set the small wooden table, pushing her black bob out of her face as she reached over.

Her stormy grey eyes snapped up to Logan and I, raising her eyebrows slightly as she looked me up and down, her brows furrowing.

Logan smiled awkwardly, shoving his hands in the pockets of his shorts. "Uh, Eliza, this is my much older sister, Heather."

Heather laughed at the emphasis Logan put on the word 'much', and strolled over to me, taking my hand in hers, shaking it firmly. "Nice to meet you."

I smiled, shaking her hand back, unsure of what to say.

I didn't know what she knew, but she was eyeing me up oddly, smiling to herself slightly as she turned, taking a seat at the table next to Millie.

"Dinner is up! Eliza, will you stay for some food?" asked Diane, setting a huge pot in the centre of the table, smiling at me joyfully.

I hesitated, but I didn't want to come across rude. I found myself wanting Diane and Heather to like me, and ducking out certainly wouldn't help in that department. "Sure."

I took a seat next to Logan as the food was dished out, feeling restless, fidgeting subconsciously.

"So, when did you two meet? I know when I met my mate, I-"

"We aren't...um." I trailed off, interrupting Heather.

Heather paused, her fork-full of food hovering just in front of her plump lips as she eyeballed Logan, who was focusing intently on his plate, his mouth set in a firm line.

"Oh, I just assumed. My mistake," replied Heather, dropping her gaze as she looked down at her plate, biting her lip.

Diane coughed awkwardly, clapping her hands together. "So Eliza, what's your pack like?"

"They're great, small, but it's how I like it," I nodded, taking another bite from my fork.

"Alpha James Hughes, right?" asked Heather, raising her eyebrows.

"Yeah," I nodded.

"Well, I've heard great things. I'm sure he's a fabulous Alpha," said Diane, offering me a cheerful smile. 

"Almost as great as you, Logan," spoke Heather, causing Logan's head to snap up.

"What?" he asked, furrowing his brows.

Heather laughed. "Oh, please, don't be so modest. Eliza should know how much your pack loves you."

"I've seen it. They all seem pretty respectful of him," I added, offering Logan a small smile.

"Not to mention the women," said Heather, raising her eyebrows at me.

"Heather? What?" questioned Logan, dropping his fork down on the plate, causing a clattering noise to echo throughout the kitchen.

"Oh yeah, all the women swoon over Logan. They love him," jeered Heather, smiling at me.

I didn't know what she was getting at, but I was becoming frustrated with the conversation, gulping multiple times awkwardly.

"And when we go out where humans roam; they just can't get enough of him. He's like a girl magnet," laughed Heather, clearly enjoying my reaction.

The grip on my fork tightened, and I felt my breathing quicken. All the talk about Logan and other women was sending shivers down my spine; shivers that I wasn't enjoying.

I didn't know what I was feeling, because I didn't even know how I felt about Logan, but I knew I wasn't happy with the direction this conversation was heading.

I definitely did not want to be hearing about Logan's run in with women in the past. It caused a pang in my chest that I couldn't describe, but it was almost as if I could feel my heart drop.

"Heather, drop it," growled Logan who glared at his sister, his hazel eyes glowing brighter than normal before a stormy grey misted over them.

Heather shrugged, offering her daughter another spoonful of food. "Just being truthful Logan."

The next ten minutes was filled with the sound of Millie's babbling and forks scraping against the china plates. A few generic questions were asked and answered, but it felt awkward; the silence eventually becoming deafening.

I had wanted to make a good impression, but things hadn't really gone to plan and I sighed, annoyed with how everything had played out.

Suddenly, the silence was taken over by the blasting ringing of Logan's phone. He pulled it out of his pocket and gazed at it before pushing his chair back, standing up. "I've got to take this. I'll be a few minutes."

My gaze lingered on Logan as he walked out of the front door, nervous to be left alone with his mother and sister, afraid something awkward would be brought up again.

"Well, I'm going to go and get Millie cleaned up. I'll help with the dishes after," announced Diane, lifting a giggling and food-covered Millie up before making her way up the stairs.

Heather pushed her chair back, gathering all of the plates in one of her hands, dropping them into the sink as she started to fill it with warm water.

"I can help," I said, making my way over to her.

"What do you think you're playing at, huh?" growled Heather, pushing me up against the counter, her face just inches from mine. "You think I didn't notice how you reacted? I'm not an idiot."

I stared at her with wide eyes as I tried my best to step sideways, but Heather's arm stopped me.

"I'm stronger than you, so don't even try it. Logan is only Alpha because I turned it down, but he has been waiting for his mate, and whatever game you're playing by pretending you're not it, is really starting to get on my nerves," spat Heather, her brows pulling together angrily.

"We've had a lot of heartache in this family, and Logan doesn't need any more of it, so don't play with him. Got it?"

I slowly nodded, my lips slightly parted in shock. I didn't know what to say. I didn't know how to react. I wanted to push her off of me and scream, telling her all that Logan had done, but I guessed that she already knew.

I knew Logan was trying to make amends, but was she aware of him organising another Whipping? Was she aware that he also didn't want people to know that I was his mate?

I felt as if she jumping to conclusions before getting to know the entire story, but I didn't want to cause a scene.

Frankly, this woman scared me and the look she was giving me was making me feel extremely uneasy; it was as if she was considering just snapping my neck then and there.

There were definitely some more answers I needed from Logan.

....................................................................

Question for my readers! What app do you use the most?

I know this chapter isn't the longest, but how do you feel about Heather?