Chapter 27

(Chloe)

After Angela had left with Erick, I thought things wouldn’t be complicated anymore. Turns out, it got even worse.

“Can I talk to you?”

Eliot came over to our lunch table. He looked serious.

I turned to Jack, who was glaring at him.

“Uhm, sure,” I said, standing up. I could deal with him later; Eliot looked like he needed someone to talk to…

At the same time, Jack stood up.

Everyone around the table eyed us three, as if a match was about to happen. Jack and Eliot had a stare off, waiting for the other to back down.

“Jack, I’ll be fine, okay?” I said.

Jack gave one last glare at Eliot and sat back down.

“Thanks,” he said as we walked away. As we left the cafeteria, I gave a reassuring smile at Jack, mouthing, ‘I’ll be fine…’

I wasn’t fine. As I sat with Eliot, I felt my heart shatter.

A bet………It was all some fucking bet……

This explained why Jack wanted to knock out Eliot the day I was kidnapped……..so why didn’t he tell me……

“Chloe……” he started, reaching over to wipe away the tears that had formed around my eyes.

“Leave me alone!” I said, shoving him away.  I stood up and ran. I was angry. I was hurt. I hated this!

“Chloe, please,” he begged, running after me.

He managed to catch up and grab my wrist, trying to pull me towards him. I didn’t budge.

“Let me go!” I cried, tugging at my wrist, trying to get away.

“Why?!” he said angrily. “To go back to that sorry excuse for a guy you call Ace?!”

I kept my mouth shut, tears rolling down my face.

“He’s playing with you,” he said, softly. “Haven’t you noticed? You’re just a fling to him!”

“He wouldn’t do that!” I said, but I felt like he was somewhat right…..

“You know he would!” he roared. “His feelings for you aren’t real!”

“Like yours are?!” I retorted.

“I fell in love with you!” he said. “I quit the bet……”

“That doesn’t make everything right!” I shouted back, finally freeing my grip from him. “That means you never would’ve talked to me if you didn’t take some bet! I would’ve just been some stand in in your life!”

“And Jackson?! Huh?! You think he’s not playing with your feelings?! You and I both know you’re just another option to him! He’s got that transferee Emma, as well as his best friend, Anna! You’re just another girl to him in a sea of women!”

“You’re lying!” I didn’t want to believe it…..I shouldn’t believe it……

“Oh yeah?” he smirked. “They kissed.”

I stared at him blankly. “Who kissed?”

“Emma and Jackson….,” he said.

My mouth dropped open, and I felt like I’ve been cheated. “N-no, you…they…..”