Chapter 16

(Jackson)

The Ace, broken down into a sad, pathetic loser, crying over a girl and eating Nutella when the teacher wasn’t looking.

It’s been three days since I asked her to prom. We didn’t talk; we didn’t say hi, we just…..drifted apart.

It hurt the first day. My friends trying different ways to cheer me up, all failing. I started to do poorer in school and in the Frontier. I was out of focus and distracted most of the time, and had the ball stolen from me more times than usual.

The coach heard what I was going through, and he benched me until I pulled myself together.

I hated that he did it, but secretly, I was relieved. I didn’t want my team to lose because I was having girl troubles…

The second day was worse.

I took a dark path of almost committing suicide. But, I thought better of it. Life was still long…

Unfortunately, she was my life…

The third day, I was almost coping. I started to laugh and smile again. The pain subsided, if only for a moment, and I was doing better in school work.

Unfortunately, the coach still had me benched.

So, as I sat in class instead of practicing for the Frontier, I couldn’t help but look over to her.

She was jotting down notes, her head looking up at the board, and then quickly returning to her notebook.

She sat next to Eliot Malex. Though I was coping, it still hurt me that they were so buddy-buddy.

Since the start of the period, they’ve been all googly eyed and lovey dovey, it made me wanna rip my heart out and just bury it, along with his dismembered corps!

After about a century, the bell rang.

Everyone got up and started fixing their stuff.

I lazily stood up and grabbed my pen and notebook as I trudged away, not even waiting for the guys.

“Jackson?”

I turned and saw Chloe.

I rolled my eyes in disgust and just trudged off.

I know it wasn’t the mature thing to do, but I didn’t care anymore. She made it perfectly clear what she felt about me…

“Jack, listen,” she said, walking up to me. “Look, about the prom thing-”

“Save it,” I said, hurrying my pace.

“Jack, stop acting like a kid,” she said, catching up to me. “Can’t you and I just deal with this like mature people?”

“No,” I said, not making eye contact.

“Look, we’ve been ignoring each other because of this whole prom thing,” she continued, touching my arm lightly. “Can’t we just go back to being friends?”

I stared at her, offended. “When Anna broke my heart, I didn’t talk to her for three weeks, what makes you the exception?”

I shrugged her hand off. With that, I left, feeling more hurt than ever.

“Hey, it’s not the end of the world,” Emma said, smiling encouragingly at me. “It’s just prom! And come on, I’m sure you can find a better girl than Chloe.”