Chapter 24: And Then, The Bomb

I went home after visiting you, feeling more clear-headed and optimistic than I had since we left the cabin. I went back to my computer and collected the evidence to prove that I did not have Stockholm Syndrome. I was going to tell Dr. Conyers at my next appointment, and if she didn't believe me, I was going to find a new therapist.

It wasn't long before my mom appeared in the doorway to my room.

“Hi, Mom,” I said getting up to hug her.

“Hey, baby,” she said, hugging me tighter in return.

“Mom, is something wrong?” I asked. “I mean, it just feels like you're kind of...avoiding me, I guess.”

“No, baby, I've just been really busy with work,” she said. “I'm so glad you're home.”

“Do you believe me?”

“About what?”

“That I wasn't kidnapped.”

“Of course, baby. I've never known you to lie.”

“Okay, I just want you and Nolan to support me, you know. And I want you to get to know Zayn. He's wonderful and I think you'll really love him,” I said.

My mom just gave me a perplexed look and then left my room.

I went to your apartment. You had given me a key at the end of our appointment with Janeen, and you gave me directions to your place. I was excited to discover another part of you.

I found the apartment complex on the west side of town. It was a neat enough looking place, not brand new, but tidy and well-kept. I found your door and slipped the key into the lock. When I entered, I was surprised by the bright, clean atmosphere. Across from the front door, a wall of square shelves opened to a small living room. You had a vintage turquoise couch and a small navy blue recliner. They clashed, but I thought it looked quaint. There was a tiny kitchenette opposite the living room. On a whim, I looked into your fridge and freezer, which were both empty, of course. You had planned to be gone for six months, so it made sense.

I wandered into your bedroom and I was greeted by a wide, sunny window facing the park across the street. Your bed was a simple mattress on the floor, but you had a blue and green comforter that looked fairly new. I looked inside your closet, curious to see how you dressed when you weren't playing Grizzly Adams in the great white north.

I laid down on the mattress and looked around, feeling like I was connecting to you even more.

I went back out to the living area and looked at the shelves. There was a picture of a beautiful woman. I knew immediately that she was your mother. There was also a family picture of that same woman with a tall and slender man who was holding a baby – you. Your family looked so happy then. I felt sad for never having met them. I felt sad for you, being an orphan at so young an age.

Our family would be happy, Zayn. I knew it. We had already weathered some trying times together and I knew it would make us stronger.

As you had told me, there was not one single paint brush or acrylic anywhere in your apartment, and I intended to change that. I looked around one last time before leaving, and wondered if we could share the tiny place because I knew that, once you got out of jail, I would never want to leave your side.

I went to a local art store on the way home and asked them to give me tips on art supplies. I had no idea what you liked. They were glad to oblige and I was happy to spend some of the money I had intended for Christmas gifts. I brought the supplies home with the intention of bringing them to your apartment the next day.

Uncle Brandon and Coach Freeman stopped by after dinner. I hugged them both warmly.

“So, Coach, how is the swim team looking this year?”

“You can call me Melody,” she smirked. “The swim team is great. Are you, by any chance, looking for any part-time work?”

“Maybe,” I answered. “I still have to get back to college, too. Why?”

“How would you like to be my assistant coach?” She asked.

“I'd love that!”

She told me some of the details. I'd still have to fill out an application and go through a formal interview, but she would plan to open the position, interview me, and then close it.

I was thrilled that things were turning around. You would soon be released from jail, I was going to go back to college and I practically had a job in hand. And now you had some new art supplies so that you could engage in your passion once you got home.

I went to bed feeling quite content that night, but I was awakened in the morning with the worst news possible.

Nolan came into my room and woke me up. “River, we have to go down to the police station right away.”

Fear struck my heart as I sat up and looked at him. “What's going on? Is Zayn okay?”

“Yeah, he's fine, but the chief will explain when we get there.”

I threw on some clothes and opted for the braided bun again. I brushed my teeth, grabbed a bagel and coffee and hopped into Nolan's truck.

When we arrived, the chief had a smug look plastered on his face. “Well, hello again, River. I bet you thought you wouldn't have to talk to me anymore.”

I didn't say anything. He was kind of a crotchety old man and I didn't exactly like him.

“Well, I'm afraid we have some bad news for you,” his tone turning soft and gentle.

There was a lump in my throat but I didn't dare move or even swallow. I wanted him to hurry up and spit out whatever the news was.

He spread out a series of mugshots, all of you, taken in various locations across the US. “It turns out that Mr. Malik was arrested several times for stalking, harassment, and he managed to avoid a kidnapping charge once before. This man has a terrible history, hon, and I'm afraid you've been foolish to trust him. It's just a good thing that nothing happened to you.”

I looked at the chief seething with anger. “This can't be true! You fabricated all of this! It's not true! You're a liar!” I started screaming and beating his chest with my fists, but two other policemen came in and restrained me, slapping cuffs around my wrists.

Before I knew what was happening, I landed in a cold jail cell. I had no idea where Nolan had disappeared to, but I was furious that he wasn't by my side when I needed him the most.

But I didn't linger on that for long. I refused to believe the news the chief had just given me. You were so sweet and innocent and gentle. I couldn't believe that you had preyed upon other women, that you had stalked other unwitting females and probably used your charm on them, too.

I believed you, Zayn, with all my heart. I believed that you felt something special for me and only me. I believed that you loved me. You couldn't love anyone else the way you loved me, the way you made me feel.

I wonder if any of them fell in love with you. I couldn't believe I'd been so stupid and now my heart was completely broken and bleeding because I'd let myself fall in love with you.

I laid down on the hard mattress and pulled the pathetically thin blanket over me.

Then I cried myself to sleep.