Chapter 3: Heading North

I dragged my luggage out to my little Subaru, popping the trunk and tossing it all inside. I fastened my skis to the roof rack, and I was ready to head north to Frost Fire Ski Area, the chosen location for my ski getaway with my friends. It had been a rough start to my first year in college and I was so ready for a break.

I texted Kassie before I got on the road. To Kass: Hey Kass, leaving now. See you in a few hours.

My phone buzzed before I even shifted the car into gear.

From Kass: Yeah! Can't wait to see you. Beth & Gen are already here. Drive safe! <3

I'd known Kassie since I was five or six. She was always there for me, although sometimes I took her for granted. As an adult, I now realize that she's been so loyal to me - she's the true definition of a best friend. She was there for every single up and down in my life, and I know that I took advantage of that. But she still never abandoned our friendship.

Kass and I got to know Beth when she moved to Grand Forks from Hawaii. Her mother was Hawaiian, but her father was from North Dakota, so they moved back to be closer to her grandparents. Genevieve was a friend of Beth's from a camp where they had both worked during the past few summers. I met her once, but I don't know much about her.

Kass and Beth drove up together. I stayed behind because I had to work at the YMCA until late on Wednesday. I didn't mind driving to Frost Fire in on my own; I'd been there countless times before. Besides, I was looking forward to the drive – a couple hours by myself in a car sounded like a perfect way to begin a long weekend of de-stressing.

I popped Imagine Dragons into the CD player and took off. I loved to drive, and I was excited about the weekend with my friends. I decided to take Highway 81 north instead of 29. I'd taken both routes before, but 81 was more direct. I didn't care about scenery at that point because it was already getting dark.

About an hour into the drive, I came upon a small town and stopped to grab a cup of coffee. I was more tired than I had realized, so the caffeine would help me get to the ski hill alert and alive. I parked my car and quickly made my way into the convenience store. As I stood pondering my coffee choices, I felt my purse get yanked hard off my shoulder and fall to the floor. 

I turned abruptly and my purse was shoved back into my hands by a man who was already walking away. I heard him mumble a half-hearted, "Sorry," and keep going. 

"Jerk," I muttered. I paid for my coffee and jumped back into my car.

I was less than ten miles past the small town where I had just stopped for coffee when I heard a loud boom and suddenly my car felt like it was being pulled off the road by a giant magnet. I hit the brakes hard, squealing to a stop. I sat there and panted for a few moments, trying to slow my racing heart and trying to figure out what happened.

I didn't like the idea of getting out of my car on this particularly dark and desolate stretch of road, but I had no choice. I had no idea what had happened to my car, so I had to inspect. When I got around to the front side of the car, I saw it – my front tire on the passenger side was completely blown out. Great. I was going to have to call one of my friends and ask them to drive down from the ski resort to help me.

I got back in the car and dug around for my cell phone, but I couldn't find it. I turned on the dome lights in the car and began searching frantically. I knew I had my phone when I left because I had texted Kassie. Now where the hell was it?!

I practically jumped out of my seat when I heard you knock on the window. I knew it was foolish to trust a stranger, especially a man, but I didn't have much choice.

I rolled down the window, but I didn't get a clear look at your face because it was dark and you had a scarf wrapped around your neck and pulled up over your mouth. When you asked if I needed a lift, I knew you might be the only chance I had to get to the next town.

I decided that I had to go with you. I couldn't figure it out, but my gut told me I could trust you. Ironic, I know. But I grabbed my purse and keys, locked my impaired vehicle and climbed into the passenger side of the Ford Escaped parked right behind my Subaru. It was ungodly hot in your car. I just assumed that you were a tourist and couldn't tolerate the frigid temperatures as well as I could.

“Where are you headed?” You asked me.

“There's a small town a few miles ahead. Can you take me there? Maybe I can get someone to tow my car.”

“That's not what I asked. Where are you going?” You repeated. I thought I recognized your voice.

“D...Do I know you? You seem really familiar.”

“I don't think so.”

“Have you ever been to Grand Forks?”

“I live there.”

“Me, too. That must be how I know you.”

“You still haven't answered my question,” you insisted.

“I'm going up to Frost Fire. But obviously, I can't make it without my car,” I said, getting impatient. And incredibly thirsty. Everything seems clear now, after I've put all the pieces together. You had the heat in the car turned up so high so that you could offer me a drink.

Which you did.

And I accepted.

It was a simple bottle of water. I drank half of it without even thinking.

“You never answered my question either,” I said.

“What's that, love?”

And that's when I heard it. Your accent. And that “love” that you tacked on at the end. You had said that to me at the library, and then again at the campground in Winnipeg. I was going to ask if I knew you, but I panicked when I realized I already had my answer.

“I do know you!” I practically yelled, beginning to panic. “You were at the library. And the campground!” I was suddenly so very tired and my brain felt foggy. “You...” I continued. “You flloowedme,” I slurred, and then everything went black.