Chapter 20: Stockholm Syndrome?

“What is Stockholm Syndrome?” I asked.

“It's a phenomenon that occurs when a hostage starts feeling compassion toward her captor, either because she feels sorry for him, or because she feels like she can identify with her captor. 

I thought about that for a minute and recognized how it might appear that way to everyone. I was indeed kidnapped, but I knew that you regretted it. I did have positive feelings towards you, but I knew that I wasn't fooling myself. I loved you, Zayn. God, I loved you and I missed you so much!

“Well, would it help you to know that Zayn needs psychological care? He needs to have some help, and it's not because he kidnapped me, because he did not kidnap me. His father killed his mother when he was only ten years old. And then his father committed suicide and Zayn found him. On top of that, Zayn's grandfather lived with them at the time, and Zayn managed to keep the deaths a secret from him since his grandfather had Alzheimer's disease. Zayn convinced the authorities that his grandfather was able to look after him so that they wouldn't be separated, but in reality, Zayn looked after him. He took care of his grandfather for nine years until he finally died. Does that sound like a kidnapper to you? Does a dangerous criminal behave the way he did, caring for his grandfather and running a household for nine years?”

The tears were returning as I thought of the injustice of your situation. You were looking for some happiness in your tragic life, and you found it in me. And I found it in you. And now we had to fight for someone - anyone - to believe us.

“Wow,” said Dr. Conyers. Then she got up and went to her computer while I still sat there. She clicked around a bit and then she said, “I should notify the police so that they can have him evaluated by a psychiatrist.”

I breathed a sigh of relief. “Is there any way that you can convince them to let me see him?”

She looked at me apologetically and said, “I still don't think that's a good idea, hon. I believe what you've told me about Zayn's past, and it is very tragic. Unfortunately, I think that's the reason you feel sorry for him. You want to somehow make it better, but he still did something very wrong and very illegal.”

“He didn't kidnap me!” I screamed, crying even harder.

“I think that's enough for this session,” Dr. Conyers said and escorted me to the waiting room where Nolan was waiting for me.

He just hugged me and led me to his car, thankfully not asking questions.

As soon as I got home, I did something I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of before: I did a Google search on my name. It came back with numerous entries about my abduction and my rescue. And about the man who was supposedly responsible for all of it. I clicked on one link and broke down in tears when I saw your face, captured in a mug shot. I read the short article.

River Tatum's Kidnapper Being Held on $50,000 Bail

Zayn Malik, 21, of Grand Forks is being held on kidnapping charges. Bail has been set at $50,000. Malik is accused of kidnapping River Tatum on November 26. Malik allegedly stopped to help Tatum after her car broke down, and proceeded to take her to a remote cabin in northern Canada. Police are still investigating the case.

“Where are they holding you?” I whispered to myself.

I read over several of the other articles from the days following my disappearance. I clicked on a link to a news report from just after I went missing. The reporter spoke in an overly concerned voice.

River Tatum, an 18-year-old college student from Grand Forks, was reported missing after she failed to show up for a ski weekend with friends at Frost Fire. Tatum's Subaru Outback was found abandoned on Highway 81, just miles away from Frost Fire. The front tire was blown out, so it is assumed that she was abducted by someone who stopped to help her. If you have any information about River Tatum or Zayn Malik, please contact the North Dakota State Police at 888-555-2100.”