in my dreams ~ zach

requested by @my_herron02 ! hope you enjoy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It was a bad breakup, there was yelling and crying from both of you. Neither of you were actually mad at each other, just really sad. You knew he didn't want to break up, and he knew you didn't want to either. But it was the only thing that made sense, the only reasonable thing to do. He spent that night at your house and the time he was there was filled with more tears, sad kisses and even sadder touches. You spent your last night together like it truly was you last, and when he left in the morning, a part of you went with him.

It's been four and a half months since you broke up, broke up because you both just couldn't have the things you wanted when you were together. It was just too much for Zach to leave you for months on end for tours, he couldn't stand being away from you for so long and couldn't continue being with you when everything was pushing him away. Sadly, you understood. You were headed for New York to pursue your own dreams and knew you couldn't leave him behind if you were still involved. Not being in the same city in the small time he was home would only put a wedge further between you, and that knowledge crushed you both.

You were thinking about him on the train ride back to your apartment, just like you always did. Your mind wandered to the details of the last night you saw him, rain started to tap along the window your head was leaning against.

"Y/n, I'm not breaking up with you."

"Fine, Zach. I'll break up with you." You scolded as you crossed your arms over your chest.

Zach walked over to you in large strides, his face just as angry as yours. "Do it, see if I care."

Your face fell, and Zach didn't miss it. His fell too. "Zach, what are we even fighting about?" you asked in a defeated tone. You watched him sigh, his whole body deflating as he let out his breath.

"I don't even know, I just know I don't wanna break up. I know that you're moving to New York, and I know I'll be on tour for the next four months, but -" You cut Zach off, not wanting him to talk you out of something you mind your mind up on days ago.

"Zach, I don't want to break up either. I don't want to go to New York without you and I want to spend every single day with you for the rest of my life. But I can't."

"Y/n...."

"No, Zach. Our lives are taking us in different directions. Our dreams don't line up." Your bottom lip quivered as you spoke and tears welled up in your eyes. He wanted to reach out to, to hold you. But he didn't know if he should.

"So... now what?" He whispered meekly, eyes searching yours with so much desperation.

You lowered your head, a quiet sob escaped your chest and Zach heard it. The sound shattered his whole heart, and he threw his previous doubts in holding you away completely as he pulled you into his chest.

"I'm sorry baby." You wept some more, clutching onto hsi t-shirt far too tightly. He rubbed your back and shushed you soothingly. He knew he was trying to be the strong one, but you also knew he was crying just as much.

That night, when you got back to your apartment you checked the voicemails on your phone. As you sipped on the glass of water you poured for yourself, a familiar voice filled your kitchen and your body froze.

"Uh, hey, y/n." You could hear his deep sigh through the phone, and it sounded the same as it had every time you had heard it before. "I-I know we're not supposed to call each other, but I just want you to know that I miss you. A lot. Sometimes, during shows I catch myself looking for you in crowds. God, every night I wait for you to climb into bed next to me, then realize you have your own bed, on the other side of the country. Fuck, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for calling you. I never should have. Before I go, I um-" He cleared his throat, and you could picture him grabbing the back of his neck like he always did when he was nervous. "Um, I know, we split up because our lives -our dreams- are taking us to different places, but every night I dream about you and I know, that has to count for something, right?" You heard him sniffle on the other end of the phone, and it broke your heart more than it was already broken. "Anyways, uh, I should go. Bye, y/n."

You played the message over again. Then again. And again, and twice more after that.

You tried to busy yourself with something, anything that could take your mind off the pretty brown haired boy. But, after about an hour, you gave in and grabbed your phone from where you had been avoiding it for the last sixty minutes.

"Hello?" His voice was groggy and you felt bad for waking him up. You knew he didn't get enough sleep as it is.

Your voice was broken, a result of trying to hold back tears. "I dream about you too, every single night."

Suddenly, Zach felt more awake. "Y/n?"

"Yeah." You nodded even though he couldn't see you.

"Are- are you okay?" His voice was concerned, and it made you want to cry even more.

"Oh, yeah, I just, I got your message and I just really wanted to talk to you."

"Oh. So, you dream about me?"

"Yeah, I do. And the longer I spend here in New York, the more I miss you. The more I wish you could be part of my dreams Zach. I never wanted to leave you, I'm so sorry. I'm so so sorry." you were full on crying now.

"What if we, I don't know, tried again?" His voice was scratchy, making it clear he was crying too. "You're only supposed to be in New York for three more months anyways right? After that you can come back to L.A, only if you want to though. And then we can talk about what'll happen next."

"Really?"

"Please."

You nodded again. "Okay, we'll give it another try."

He was your dream. And you were his.

_______________________________________
a/n: {10/13/20} shameless plug; go check out the first book i've ever (co) written! laamer   and i have been working so hard on this and really hope you're guys like it! you can find it on -starflowers

also this imagine is ASS