Chapter 4 - Is ɪᴛ ᴀ ᴅᴇᴀʟ?

Unedited

'𝐴𝑟𝑒 𝑤𝑒 𝑎𝑐𝑞𝑢𝑎𝑖𝑛𝑡𝑎𝑛𝑐𝑒𝑠 𝑛𝑜𝑤?'

Her pace quickened as she sped through the forest, still unable to shake off the eerie feeling. Every time she walked even faster, she felt as if someone was already right behind her. Yet when she turned around, there was no one. Fair hand reached for the door handle, and her breath hitched. Once again sensing another's presence, to either find out what was going on or ignore it was her choices. Her mana seeping from that fair finger of hers as she turned to look around, this time more on guard. It was just as she suspected, there were traces of mana left behind. One that wasn't hers or Dandi's. Her gaze sharpened, still observing her surroundings, opening the door carefully she took one last look behind her. This time she was changing into a new pair of clothing for the night, getting onto her bed, Athanasia couldn't help but be cautious. Was she perhaps overthinking? Maybe so, but it was better safe than sorry. Closing her eyes, there it was, the sound of a person's footstep. It couldn't be Sunny or Dandy, they were already asleep. For she was the only one that was up late, training. Sparks were clearly seen, and her eyes having the glint of a cold icy one. "Got you," she whispered. Her magic, in which crystallizes a person, encasing them in it. However, to her surprise, the temperature of the room had suddenly become hotter. The girl's eyes widened as she witnessed a certain mage shatter her crystals with fire. There stood a handsome male, his hair as dark as the pitch black night while his eyes shined like that of a ruby. "I'm quite impressed," he smirked. Athanasia glared at the male, but he remained unfazed. She tightened her fist as she gritted her teeth, her gaze still not leaving the handsome male. "He sent you, didn't he." Her magic cackling, ready to attack anytime. The male's grin only widened.

"Correct princess, now if you-" A shard was shot at him, however, his barrier had protected him before any harm was done. Blinking twice, the boy then looked bewildered. Surprised by the sudden action. He raised his head, staring at the so-called princess. "I'm not going anywhere." Her mana unleashing as the pressure in the room became even more suffocating. The boy too brought his hand out, his magic cackling. If I have to use more force, then so be it. His hand enveloping in flames while the other was prepared to attack anytime. Her eyes are aware and alert of him. In an instant, the boy had teleported right behind her, ready to knock her out. "What's going on here!" A voice exclaimed, there stood at the door was a mint haired girl. Her eyes showed that of anger and frustration. She looked to Athanasia then at the boy with glowing red eyes. "Another one?" She said perplexed. Her eyebrows raised as she examined the handsome male. It was as she expected, a mage capable of passing the barrier. First it was Athanasia, and now him. Could it get any worse.

"Are you done yet? I have a job to do." The male commented, frowning as he had said so. The girl crossed her arms, "abducting someone is part of your job?" she scoffed. Defending her new friend, Athanasia. Continuing to walk closer and closer to the two, her glare never fell. As if saying that she isn't afraid to bring harm to the boy. Even if only by a little bit. Pulling Athanasia away from the boy's grip, she brushed the dirt off her shoulders. She did indeed feel fear from the boy's power, but never showed so.

"It is the emperor's order to ca- bring her back to the empire." His tone was low and cold, while his expression showed that he was serious. But Dandi only tilted her head, "this forest doesn't belong to the empire." Athanasia smiled, seeing how her friend had defended her. Protecting the girl from harm, or being dragged back to that wretched empire. Their gaze was intense, neither seeming to back down. The one to make the first move was Dandi, mana seeped from her fingertips as vines seemed to have appeared out of nowhere, tying the boy's legs together. But unfortunately that was not enough to hold him down, fire had already burned off the vines.

"Tell me, is this how you greet a guest?" the boy scoffed, his eyes squinting as he looked at us as if we are some kind of interesting specimen. I couldn't tell if his tone indicated sarcasm or not. The golden haired girl looked over to Dandi, she however, was still not backing down either. "Did we ever welcome you here in the first place?" she sassed, her hand clenching into a fist. He smirked, "I'm not that weak just so you know." Dandi raised an eyebrow at the boy's statement, a thought running through her mind. He's quite arrogant. Just like that the male had vanished and reappeared behind the two girl's. Starting Athanasia while the other remained unfazed. Hesitating at first Athanasia reached over to the boy grabbing his hand, once again she tried to envelope him with mere crystals, or gems she could say. But to the male, it was nothing. Quickly those gems had shattered into pieces right before Athanasia's eyes.

Dusting of the dirt from his clothing, the male looked back at the jeweled eyed girl. "Since I'm in quite the good mood today, I'll make a deal with you." Those words however, only resulted in the girl looking at him in suspicion. However, her jeweled eyes seem to be glinted with interest. He straightened his back, still wearing that smirk of his. "If you choose to go back with me..." he started to say "you have the freedom to visit this...place anytime." Athanasia looked up, the boy however raised his hand in front of her face. "Let me finish," he continued, "you'll have to be my apprentice!" The girl frowned, doubting him. "You're kidding...right?" the boy shook his head slowly. Athanasia paused, Dandi however gripped onto her shoulder. "Are you really gonna trust him?"

The jeweled eyed girl raised her head once again looking straight into the male's eyes. "Fine."

He flicked her forehead, "since we'll be acquaintances now....." the boy stood tall and straight. "You may call me Lucas."

Word Count: 1073