Chapter 32

Chris pov

"Where is my money?"

"Good evening, Mr Caron." I smiled politely, not bothering to look up from the file I was engrossed in.

"I was promised money, don't you dare tell me you're going back on your word." Mr Caron snarled prowling aggressively in my office.

"I don't go back on my word. I'm not like you." I shrugged intentionally giving him time to let the insult sink in.

"I don't go back on my word." He bristled, clearly offended.

"After having such a long and stressful day I do feel good at your attempt of humour. Good joke." I chuckled dryly.

"Don't beat around the bush, I want my money." Mr Caron was not taking a hint, that I was not jumping up at the opportunity to listen to him justify his actions.

"Sir, the reports for the merger is here." My assistant Mike rambled barging in barley noticing a seething Mr Caron.

"Come in Mike." I gestured clearing my desk, making space for the new files.

"I'm sorry, I didn't realise Mr Caron was here. I'll come back later." Mike mumbled hesitantly trying to ignore the cold glares thrown our way.

"Unlike me Mr Caron is quite free, don't worry about it. He can wait until we finish this, can't you?" I enquired lips twitching back a smile.

Mr Caron's eyes narrowed, resisting an urge to lunge across the desk and strangle me, he took a deep breadth and gave a forced smile "I just want the money you promised me, if you could just hand over the cheque I'll be on my way. That way you can discuss about three more mergers and I wouldn't care."

"I'm not very happy about seeing your face either. But I do have some questions for you, once you answer them my security will be more than happy to lead you out and even get you a cab." I expressed, noticing as he ground his teeth in frustration.

"I didn't agree to answer any questions." Mr Caron did not like the way this conversation was going.

"We don't get everything we want." I countered, stopping another word from his side.

For the next twenty minutes, Mr Caron's demeanour of trying to look like a sophisticated gentleman was slipping up. He glared at me occasionally, as though wishing me an early death and then went back to swearing under his breadth.

"Good job, Mike. Thank you. Why don't you file all this up and take the day off." I appreciated, it's nice to encourage your employees, there is really no need to be rude and arrogant to everyone just because you can.

"I'll file this." Mike voiced giving a small smile.

"Do you have any more deals to discuss?" Mr Caron growled clenching his fists.

"I didn't realise you love waiting so much, purely to indulge you I can get started on a meeting I'm lagging behind on, but it may or may not mean an extra two hours of waiting on your part. Decide quickly Mr Caron." I tried hard not to laugh at his afronted expression.

"Let's just finish this." Mr Caron pulled at his messy hair.

"What did you say to Liam?" I questioned eyes trained on my target.

"What nonsense are you on about?"

"Liam was so furious at Gwen, he vowed to destroy all the people who hurt his son. Why did he not target you or Emma? Technically speaking his fiance's betrayal should have meant more than others. So, what did you to do to get Liam off your back?" I rolled up my shirt,  indicating I didn't have a problem using my fists.