Chapter Eleven: Resupply and Repairs

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

One Month, two days left until the due date

The castle's hallways were silent and cold. The only sound that could be heard was the crackle from the flames emanating from the touches that illuminated the walls. The sound of metal on stone echoed down the corridor as a knight made his way to the royal chambers. His hand rested on the hilt of his sheathed sword. In the other, he continually adjusted his hair, trying his hardest to straighten out an unruly cowlick. The knight stopped in his attempt to contain his hair as his hand grips the handle of a door. The hallway is bathed in a bright white light as the door slowly creaks open.

His metal armor reflects the light of the sun as he steps out into the courtyard. Birds could be heard chirping in the sky above as various different types of small insects flutter around the bushes and trees. The sound of water getting displaced caught the man's attention as he started to walk down a stone pathway. Standing at the edge of a somewhat large koi pond was a woman in a long flowing dress. Her hair blond was long and braided with a small flower resting above her ear. Hearing that the knight was approaching by the clanging of his armor. The girl lets out a smile as she turns around to face the man. Grabbing onto her dress, she quickly runs over to the knight and wraps her arms around him. "Edward, it's so good to see you again."

"Hm," you remarked as you rubbed your chin with a heavily bandaged hand. Grabbing the bottom of the paper, you flipped over to the next page of the novel. You began to read the words on the page. The book was the same one that you'd pick up in the seaside town some time ago. Lately, you had been given more time to read it, with you being immobile for the past week. The book was called: Royal Secrets. Or something along those lines, it was hard to tell thanks to how damaged the cover was. It was a simple story about a knight and a princess falling in love and having to hide their relationship from everyone. Even though it was the standard romantic drama that most would write off. You found it to be interesting. That, and it also helped to distract you from your current situation.

Bandages almost completely covered your body from head to toe. The acid bath that you took trying to help Ichigo did a number on your body. You didn't know how severe your injuries were since the first week of healing was spent in and out of consciousness. But from what Naosu had told you, there were holes burned in you so deep in your skin that bone was showing. His description made you feel lucky you weren't awake long. But it had been two weeks since everything happened. Your body was still trying to repair itself. Though at this point, it was mostly the small thing, like your nails and hair.

As you continue to read, a aching sensation starts to grow in your head, causing you to move your hand up to the base of your horn. Lightly placing your fingers on a small black object that wrapped around your horn's base. Normally the device would be hidden under your bangs. But your hair was now being held back by bandages. Revealing the device to the world. It was something you've had since you became a Praetorian. You continued to try and alleviate the growing pain originating from the spots where it's attached to. The door to the Pack flies open without warning.

"Warrior!" Naosu screams as he sticks his head inside.

Surprised, you let out a yell as you quickly shove the book into the helmet that sat between your legs. Swiftly you turn to face the man. You watch as he gives you his cocky smile while stepping in. "What'cha up you to Warrior?" Naosu chuckles as he rests his back in the doorway. "Uh, n-nothing." You stutter, trying to act natural. Carefully, you rise to your feet. Kicking the helmet behind you and come eye to eye with Naosu. Wanting to change the subject before Naosu can question you further, you begin to speak up. "Is everything ready?" Naosu looks out of the Pack for a second as if to check something before turning back to you.