Chapter One

It was the month of June. It was hot and breezy at the same time. Summer was in. Rachel, a girl with long, green hair and star eyes entered in one of the empty classroom of KAIS elementary and middle school in Tokyo. It was her first class after summer break. Though she had been a student in that school since her elementary grades came in she was nervous. "Ohoyo"! A voice came from behind the wooden door of the classroom. "Ohoyo, Taya"! Rachel replied. "Recognised me. I am so glad. How was summer"? Taya asked Rachel. "It is still summer". Rachel replied. "I mean the break". Taya said. "Yes. I shifted to Guitar a week ago". Rachel replied. "Right". Taya said. It was almost 8 am when the class was overfilled with students. Girls talking about their new nail paints and boys bragging about their game in the school sports team.

"Good morning class". Miss. Anjie said. Hearing her sweet yet chilling voice the students sat back in their seats. Taya and Rachel were friends since second grade. "Alright everyone is present". Miss. Anjie concluded. "Even Melange"? Taya's voice echoed loudly in the room. "Yes. She is present as well. Alright kids. We have some new arrivals today...Teiki Wentch and Katari Nezuke". Anjie clapped. The entire class remained stunned when they saw Katari, the ex-celebrity. The amazing pianist. The thing about Melange was that she used to spend her entire time in the music school. She was a student of KIAS yet all she did was give her attendance and go back to her music school. Her classmates hardly ever saw her in class. Taya and Rachel spoke to her and were in touch with her only because of their band.

The bell rang. It was the canteen hour. "Come on. We have rehearsals with Melange". Rachel said while pulling Taya by her skirt. "Hey you! Let go! People are looking". Taya yelled. "Let them". Rachel said. "But I have school work. Remember? I am the monitor". Taya said. "We'll be waiting". Rachel said and let go of her skirt. Taya walked up to the newbies.

It was sunny outside the school building. Rachel entered through the windiw of the music class where Melange usually practised. "Ohoyo"! Rachel waved at Melange. She was playing the piano. Her fingers didn't stop playing. Her eyes didn't stop sparkling . Her short, purple hair didn't stop swinging. She was immersed in the tune. The 'claire de lune'. Finally her voice was heard. A hum. "Hm". Melange replied. Rachel picked up her guitar from the case and started playing. She wasn't in sync with Melange and neither did she try to be. Both of them played different tunings. The room was filled with two colours. 'Red and Yellow'. Yes. One of them was playing in frustration and one was playing as if she was the only human on the entire planet.

Taya jumped in through the window. "Heya"! She wished. Melange just smiled but Rachel grew bitter. "You jackass. You're late". She yelled at Taya and threw her pick aiming Taya's head. "See. It's small but hitting with speed it hurts". Taya said and bend down to pick up the pick. "There is no brains there anyway". Rachel said. Taya threw the pick back to Rachel. She caught it.

"Though guys. Those two new boys are a charm. They became my friends in no time". Taya added. "If you tell me that you came late because they kept you busy, I swear next I'll kick you right on your face". Rachel said. "Not really". Taya said. Melange continued to play. When she was done playing the tune for the third time she turned towards her friends. "Let's rehearse". She said smiling. Rachel gave the first beats from the guitar. Taya started playing the song. She gave the first tune with her violin and then they continued together. A combination like the wizards. A violinist, a pianist and a guitarist. The song played was 'ocean lights'. Ever came to heard of it? No. Off course not. Or even there exists one, it might sound unnatural like this one because the lyrics were written by Melange.

They kept playing until the bell was rung. Canteen hour was over. "Ok Melange. We gotta go already". Rachel said. Taya got up. "You should start coming to class Melange. How long is your pass"? Taya added. "Hm. Four more years". Melange said. "What made you think you did keep up". Taya laughed. Melange didn't reply. "Taya! Stop already". Rachel said. "Oh...uh...I am so sorry Melange". Taya said. Melange smiled at her. Both Taya and Rachel jumped out the window. Melange went back to her piano.

It was 3 pm when the final bell was rung. "Hey! Taya chan! Can I have the science notes"? Teiki said. One of the new guys. "Teiki-kun! Sure". Taya said. She handed him her notebook. Katari was seeing from a distance. "Nice way of starting a conversation". He said. "Oh. I can start conversations without an excuse". Teiki said. Rachel took her bag, hung it around her arm and stood there in front of Taya's desk. "How about we three have a drink in front of the mall close by our school"? Rachel said. "By 'we' you mean"? Katari asked. "Us, off course. You, me, Teiki-kun and Taya". Taya replied. "Yup. Ok. I'm in". Katari said. The four of them walked to the cafe near the mall together.

"You bought milk again"? Taya asked Rachel. "Yup. I like them. It's sweet". Rachel said. "Teiki likes sweet things as well". Katari added. "And what about you"? Taya asked. "Well...not much into sweets". Katari replied. They talked about different cuisines and then went on to talk about sports and the music until it was 7 pm. "Should be heading off". Teiki said. "Yes. My parents are going to hate me for today". Taya said. "Well bye guys". She said and ran off. "Later". Teiki said. Rachel and Katari parted ways after a distance too.

"I'm home. Is Melange home yet"? Rachel asked her mother while loosening her neck tie. "No. The door's locked, honey". Her mother replied picking up her bag. "That girl. She must be in the music room still". Rachel said to herself.