55. Who'll Stop the Rain

[Holy Terror]

Dean drove in the Impala. Sam was passenger, and Dylan and Natalia were in back, the youngest of the four asleep.

"So, he's better?" Dean asked.

Ezekiel replied, "Yes. Sam is much improved. It should be much longer now."

Dylan frowned. "You realize you told us the same thing last week, right?"

"And I told you when we met -- this will take time."

Dean let out a frustrated breath. "Okay, well, go then. Heal. I'd like my brother back, please, and I know Natalia would, too."

Ezekiel answered stiffly, "I must say, Dean, Dylan, I'm very uncomfortable with this whole trip. Investigating crimes involving angels -- or anything involving angels -- puts me, and therefore, Sam, at risk."

"Well, family business, Zeke. All right? If we ignore this, Sam's gonna think something fishy's goin' on."

Ezekiel paused. "Then I trust you two will be discreet."

After a pause of his own, Dean said, "Wait, if you know where we're going, that means you've been listening in. Are you -- are you hearing everything between me, Sam, Natalia and Dylan?"

"No. Just a word here and there. I have better things to do with my time than eavesdrop, like heal your brother."

"Okay, 'cause here's the thing--"

Sam's eyes flashed blue and Ezekiel receded and Sam resumed. "-- you know, I was gonna say, it seems like it's getting really quiet out there, you know? Not a peep from the angels, even Buddy Boyle goes off the air and stops recruiting for them."

Dean, and Dylan took a moment to adjust to talk to Sam.

Dylan said, "Obviously it's the calm before the storm."

"Yeah, maybe," Sam replied, unconvinced. He noticed something outside and stared in startlement.

Dean and Dylan asked, "What?"

"That sign said 'Fort Collins, 50 miles'."

"So?"

"So, last time I looked, like 12 seconds ago, uh, Fort Collins was a hundred miles."

Dean searched for an answer. "Well, hey, man, ever since that goddess got her hooks into you, you know-"

Sam started getting agitated. "No, it's more than Vesta! I mean, this kind of thing's been happening to me. Like, like, there are chunks of time just... missing. Like there are times when I'm... not here."

"Well, like we've said-" Dean began.

"Yes, the trials. I know. I heard you guys. I heard you two when you said it the last week and the week before that and the week before that. Natalia's suspicious as well, I'm sure."

Dean nodded. "Yeah, because... damn straight the trials. They whacked you, man. You're not up to warp speed yet, okay? But you will be." He smiled at Sam. "Would I lie?"

Sam looked back at Dean, then back at Dylan and a sleeping Natalia.

They came to a roadhouse and got out, wearing their FBI garb, and flashed their badges at a uniformed cop.

The cop said, "Ah, one of your guys and girl are here already."

Sam, Dean, Natalia and Dylan looked at each other, put their badges back in their pockets, and headed into the roadhouse.

Inside, Sam and Dylan cleared their throats. The four of them looked around, spotted Castiel and Azrael, and made their way over to them.

Castiel and Azrael excused themselves as the former said, "Ah, my colleagues and their rookies."