Chapter Fifteen: Reckoning

I awoke to the feel of Samuel's lips upon my neck, tickling me awake. It had been three days since our wedding night, and we had done very little but reside within the cocoon of wedded bliss. My injuries were healing, my father had calmed, and Samuel's passion was ignited within me. He turned me towards him, the room still cloaked in darkness.

"Samuel," I said. "The sun has yet to even rise."

"And yet, I desire my wife," he whispered.

He trailed kisses down my neck, nibbling on my collarbone and then trailing down to my breasts. I slept mostly exposed, and it seemed to Samuel to be an invitation. Though some part of me had felt that my passion for Samuel had seemed pale in contrast with Marcus, that had subsided. His lips covered every inch of me, causing me to shiver in his arms.

"Tell me, Mrs. Proctor," Samuel whispered. "Do you yearn for me?"

I giggled quietly, still aware that we made our bed in a place with others nearby. The walls of the inn at Deerfield were so very thin. His hands rested gently upon my thighs, inviting thoughts of where they may travel to. It struck me as odd that days before I had never known the touch of a man, not truly. Now his embraces felt similar to breathing, inhaling, and exhaling with ease and joy. I breathe in his kisses and release the ecstasy he taught my heart to feel.

"I do yearn for you," I said.

Within moments, Samuel had removed his trousers, lavishing affection upon me. I got lost in his touches, forgetting all else. It had been like living in a dream for the last few days. Samuel and I were passionate, full of love and tenderness. I felt no shame in his embrace since I was his bride. Deerfield had been free of beasts and it seemed to be a paradise, safe from the corruption of Salem. I could start anew, living a life of my own choosing. I pulled back from Samuel's kisses and stopped him, our breathing heavy and full.

"Samuel," I said. "I want to stay here with you forever. I do not want to go back to Salem."

"Here in this bed," Samuel chuckled. "Yes, my beloved."

"No, here in Deerfield," I said. "It is our home. I can feel it."

He said nothing but returned to our dance, this time closing the distance between us. His hands traveled towards the inner flesh of my thighs, slowly parting my legs as he hovered above me. I closed my eyes, slowly inhaling as Samuel made his movements. I let the dream of a happy life flit over me, the calm existence in Deerfield where we lived and loved. We could be free of Salem and its darkness. Perhaps in time, the beasts themselves would die out and the world could just keep spinning. When Samuel touched me, the world felt limitless and I felt free.

Later that morning, we were beckoned to the church. My father had been called upon to replace their local minister, a victim of the devil's fever. We were to sit in service and the town made their way to the building. It still shocked me to see such a multitude, probably nearly two hundred souls. Some were the original residents of Deerfield, and others had come from distant colonies. Deerfield seemed to be a haven, protected by their large fences and men to protect the town. I smiled upon the town as we entered the church. Roan was a fool for doubting my path, instilling fear into me.

My father's sermon carried on through the day, and my mind wandered as it did. Although I felt a joy in my marriage to Samuel, some part of my heart lingered upon Marcus. Had he found a way to defeat Roan? Was he safe, or alive? The thoughts raced through my mind as quickly as a new one formed, some fantastic image of a life he could be living. Samuel sat and looked upon my father, respect in his eyes for his father in law. I could feel nothing but contempt for the man, a signaling subtle hatred in my eyes when he looked towards me. Some bonds could never be unbroken. Service went on and Samuel and I returned, thinking on joyous things.