Chapter Eleven: Journey

We left the next morning with so few supplies: Marcus' scythe, an axe, a bow and arrow, a canteen of water, and a meager pouch of food for the journey. We rode on Samson, and I clutched to Marcus' waist as he rode. The journey from the sister's home to Deerfield was three days by foot, but Marcus was convinced we could arrive in two days by horse. We would need to find shelter in the night, since the beasts would come out to hunt their prey. We had not spoken a word of anything that had transpired: the kiss, my nightmare, or the night I had spent in his arms. Benjamin had already returned to Salem to find Samuel and John Proctor, and to tell them that I was headed to Deerfield. Some part of me had a quiet hope that perhaps Samuel would not pursue me. I loved the boy, and when I gazed upon Samuel, I remembered the innocence of my youth. But I was not that innocent young girl anymore, as Roan's fascination with me had proven.

We rode through the woods and I tightened my grip on Marcus' waist, nuzzling my chin into his back. Something about the broadness of his shoulders comforted me. The rhythm of the horse steadied my heart as we rode on. Eventually, we reached a small body of water, and Marcus stopped the horse.

"Tell me, Miss Parris," he said. "Are you any good at catching fish?"

"I do not think myself to be a fisherman," I said. "It will be getting dark soon. I do suppose we could use some food."

"I know of an abandoned house near here, a ramshackle of a thing. It will suit us for the night. It lucky we make this journey in the spring, since we would freeze to death in the winter."

"Yes, it is a providence." I said, though the words felt foreign on my tongue. Talks of providence and Christianity felt wrong now that I knew Roan sought me out. I felt as though I was a condemned soul, a deeper feeling of dread than I had before.

Marcus went to catching fish as I looked through the trees. Out here, there were so few people or beasts. It was very freeing in the wilderness, though my senses were heightened. An acute paranoia had resonated in my heart all day.

"You are quiet," Marcus said. "Do you feel guilt in your heart?"

"A little," I whispered.

"Two days ago, you were horrified that I hand laid a single hand upon you. And now, we have shared a bed and several embraces."

"Well, we shared a bed but nothing more. There was no lust in my heart, just a hope for comfort from a dear friend."

"Am I a friend," Marcus chuckled.

"I do not know what to call you," I whispered. "Whatever we do, somehow, Roan can see us. He knew about the creek."

"And what did he say exactly," Marcus asked.

"That I should know better, that I had lust in my heart," I replied. "He seemed to be as though a jealous lover who had been slighted."

"And he said he desires you to be his bride," Marcus said. "You are a rare beauty, attracting men and demons alike."

I shook my head, not finding his mischievous ways to be so endearing.

"Is it fear that plagues you, or indecision Elizabeth?"
"Fear," I said. "Indecision is to be expected. Once we find my father, he will know what to do. He is a Godly man."

"And what will you speak of in regards to me?"
"I will tell him you saved my life, Marcus," I said. "That you are noble and kind."

"So," Marcus said. "We need to be prepared to fight Roan if he comes for you. What do we know about him?"
"He is affected by sorcery," I said. "He appeared when Abigail tried to conjure spirits. Perhaps she did conjure him."