Chapter Twelve: Reunion

We had reached the outskirts of Deerfield and the sun was setting. Our journey was quiet and contemplative now, for we grew tired and weary. I could almost feel it, the borders of civilization. I thought of how it would feel to visit a town once again, to see a market and a church, a crowd full of other souls. The thought excited me, though I felt some small semblance of loss. Salem had always been a home to me, and I did not know if there was a future there. In the last few days, the sisters and Marcus had offered me unexpected friendships and solace. Now, that chapter was coming to a close. Before we reached the edge of the town, which was surrounded by a wooden fence and guards in their outposts, we heard the rustling of feet and voices. Marcus looked to the side with caution and suspicion, but something of the whispers carrying through the air caught my ear. Marcus motioned for me to be quiet, so I listened intently.

"We must help the child," a deep masculine voice said. It had an air of familiarity to it. "She is lost. What if it was your daughter?"

"What if it was my bride?" A second voice said. I could only make out their silhouettes through the trees. "Betty is out there with some scoundrel, her purity and safety at risk. I must find her."

Realization settled upon me as I knew the voice as I knew my own soul, and the memories rushed back to me.

"Samuel, she will be coming here for you," another voice, presumably Benjamin, said. "You would be as a fool to seek her out."

"Marcus," I whispered. "That is Samuel. It is Samuel and Benjamin."

A trace of disappointment and understanding covered Marcus' face and he looked towards. He leaned over and gently kissed my forehead before moving forward towards the brothers.

We revealed ourselves and Benjamin's face lit up with a smile. Samuel's eyes narrowed upon me, his eyes full of something I could not place. It was as though he saw in me a great disappointment but also his greatest relief. I glanced down to see my dirty and mangled clothes and realized I must have been a sight to behold. I wore no cap or bonnet and I surely did not appear to be the proper minister's daughter he knew so well. Samuel's eyes moved towards Marcus, who stood more upright and clenched his jaw in an act of challenge as if he anticipated some sort of a threat from Samuel Proctor. Samuel fixated on Marcus' scars, then looked back to me.

"Samuel," I whispered. Something in my voice and the feeling in my gaze beckoned him, softening his eyes. "I am so sorry I left you. I am pleased to see you well."

He rushed to me, his eyes open wide. I felt his arms envelop me and suddenly the memories flooded me. This was Samuel Proctor, the love of my youth and the kindest soul in Salem. Everything else faded away as I realized some part of me had believed him to be lost when I left the barn in Salem. I had mourned him, yet here he was in my arms. He pulled back and our eyes met, electricity in his gaze. He gently put his hand upon my heart, careful in his gesture. His eyes seemed to gloss over as he gazed upon me.

"It still beats," Samuel said. "Your heart still beats, and Betty Parris, my heart still beats for you."

I opened my mouth to speak but no words emerged. He leaned forward and kissed my forehead gingerly, and I closed my eyes. Samuel pulled back and turned towards Marcus. Samuel extended his hand towards Marcus.

"Benjamin tells me you acted as a sort of guardian for Elizabeth, rescuing her and escorting her here," Samuel said. "I must thank you for that, though I hope you were an upstanding fellow."

"I was," Marcus said. "Elizabeth is incorruptible, even if I had tried."

Some recognition was found in Marcus' words as I realized he was not being entirely truthful. What of the creek, or the nights we had shared a bed? Surely, Samuel would not have approved. Ever the diplomat, Marcus absolved me of all my betrayals.