Date Night

Fidgeting with the buttons on his suit jacket, Lukas looked up at his mirror and gave himself a small, affirming nod. He looked good. Despite that fact, he was still nervous. It felt ridiculous, being nervous to go on a date with the man he'd just spent the past couple of days housing, feeding, and living with. But Lukas always had reservations about letting people into his life, so it wasn't anything new. Plus, the formality of the occassion made it seem more official. 

Mathias would be arriving in the next couple of minutes, so Lukas slipped his keys into his pocket, made sure his doors were locked, and crouched through the kitchen window onto the fire escape. There was no way he was going through the lobby dressed like this. 

Waiting for a text, Lukas stood at the top of the fire escape and looked out over the city. He could not believe how quickly his life had changed in the course of a few weeks. Not only was he romantically involved with the cute coffee shop stranger, he had busted an illegal human experimentation operation, and was now going to be a key witness in an ICC trial. The future was definitely hazy and potentially turbulent, but he wouldn't change it for the world. 

Lukas heard a whistle come from below and he looked down to see the smiling Dane, his eyes bright and his smile ecstatic per usual. Sometimes it felt like being with the energizer bunny. Lukas made his way down the wrought iron fire escape, hopping off the final steps to join Mathias. The Dane gave him a quick peck on the lips and the two linked arms, Lukas ready to be led to Mathias' overhyped restaurant of choice. 

"The date is finally happening. Can't believe this date was agreed upon in the midst of devising a plan to get me re-kidnapped" Mathias joked. 

"Right?! Felt like just yesterday that I nearly strangled you to death before you punched me in the face" Lukas bantered, eliciting a chuckle from Mathias. Thinking about their plan to expose the lab was always odd. There were so many ways that it could have gone wrong. They were both grateful that there hadn't been any huge obstacles in the way of their plan. 

Their walk to the restaurant passed by quickly, as they both indulged in their typical world-absorbing conversations. It was sometimes scary, how little they were aware of their surroundings when they bounced thoughts back and forth. Even the date went by quickly, Mathias gushing about the time he and his friends had accidentally discovered the restaurant on their way to a bar. The only part of the dinner that was excruciatingly long was the moment Mathias knocked over a candle on the table, leaving wax all over the tablecloth and forcing the waiter to reset their entire table. The two were utterly mortified. 

Upon exiting the restaurant, the two looked at one another in relief. Their server definitely hated them. "What next?" Mathias asked, freshly energized by their romantic candlelight dinner as they began their walk to his apartment. 

"Well I did promise you I'd get you gelato when I was still your terribly irresponsible caretaker" Lukas replied. Mathias let out a laugh. 

"Don't worry about it, I think we've tormented enough food service workers for the night" Mathias responded. 

"Agreed" Lukas shot back, a horrified look spreading across his face as he remembered their desperate attempts at trying to help the waiter clean up their mess. Something about Mathias brought out Lukas' undiscovered ditsy side.

"Sooo.. Does this date mean we're official?" Mathias asked suddenly, nearly making Lukas laugh. The Norwegian simply smiled, mostly in disbelief, that the Dane was such a moron.

"Are we twelve?" Lukas teased, watching on as Mathias dramatically threw his arms up in the air. 

"You know what I mean!" the Dane exclaimed, his voice becoming whiny as Lukas continued to laugh. Wanting to torture him further, Lukas took a ridiculously long amount of time lifting his gelato spoon to his mouth before putting it in. Mathias lightly elbowed him in the ribs.

"Why put a label on it?" Lukas replied, absolutely delighted as he found another way to torture the Dane for a while longer. Mathias was a very traditional man. Suggesting an ambiguously-titled relationship was going to drive him crazy. 

"Labels are great! People make a living off them! Without labels how are we supposed to know what kind of soup we're buying?! I love labels" Mathias shot back, growing increasingly tense as Lukas stifled his laughter. 

"I guess... you could say," Lukas began, drawing out his response in order to extend the torture further, "we are exclusive in our romantic involvement."

Mathias beamed and suddenly held up Lukas' arm as if he had just won gold at the Olympics. "THIS MAN IS MY BOYFRIEND" Mathias yelled as loudly as possible, much to the chagrin of the Norwegian. Lukas, incredibly embarrassed, whipped his head around to make sure they were alone on the street before whacking him in the stomach. 

"You are the most embarrassing person I know" Lukas exclaimed, suddenly relieved that no one had been there to see that. 

"Well we're dating so you better get used to it" Mathias shot back, still grinning from ear to ear as Lukas tried to recover from the hot shame of having his relationship status echo throughout an entire city block. 

Upon arriving at Mathias' apartment building, they crept up the wrought iron staircase, making sure their steps were as quiet as possible. Mathias had explained earlier in the night that his elderly neighbor was not afraid to start swinging handbags at anyone who spoke at a volume louder than a whisper. 

Entering the apartment, Mathias threw his coat onto his couch and turned towards Lukas, who was patiently waiting for his invitation to Mathias' bedroom. Instead, he got a lenghty kiss on the lips and a friendly pat on the arm. 

"I had so much fun, thank you" Mathias exclaimed before playfully diving onto his couch.

"I had fun too" Lukas replied, standing in the doorway with an awkward lean. Mathias looked over at him in confusion, wondering why the Nowegian wasn't equally as excited to be back in the domestic space. 

"What next? You want to play scrabble? Or paint something with me?" Mathias asked innocently, shooting back up from the couch as Lukas approached him with an unimpressed face. 

"I was hoping we could do something else" Lukas admitted suggestively, taking a hold of the Dane's tie with a firm grip. Mathias looked down at him with a surprised expression. 

"Oh" he let out simply, a smirk creeping across his face as he realized the request. Lukas yanked his tie and pulled him in for a kiss, initiating the exchange with surprising agency. Mathias responded by deepening the kiss, his hand on Lukas' lower back as the heat of the moment increased.  

The two pulled away after a few moments and Mathias let out a chuckle, his face flushed. Lukas was absolutely delighted by the bashfulness, realizing now that Mathias was all bark and no bite. The Dane loved to tease and flirt, but underneath Lukas knew he was a bit more innocent than he projected. 

Lukas took one of Mathias' hands with an infatuated look in his eyes. "Shall we?" he asked, his fingers intertwining with the Dane's. Mathias nodded but released his hand from Lukas', opting instead to pick the Norwegian up like a newly wedded wife. Lukas laughed and the two were off to the bedroom, both delighted and utterly smitten. 

_

This is not edited lmao so excuse all of this grammar. This is the third (?) to last chapter. Big sad... but the story cannot continue forever. Everyone who reads/comments on this story is honestly hilarious and sweet! the comments make my day, so thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed!

If you're looking to read more nordic things that I'm trying to update more often, I have a SuFin fic that I just updated last week that is hopefully pretty good.