Chapter 8

"EIGHT"

"EIGHT"

-------------------

It seems the kids got bored of all the serious conversation. Elijah came running in to pull me outside. He wanted to play and we had explained the majority of our story, Nico or Giusy could take it from here if the Cullens wanted to learn more. I walked outside with Elijah and Charlotte. Followed by my brothers, Alessio, Maggie and Matteo. Alessio ended up wrestling over in the corner of the yard with Iñaki. While Maggie, Elijah and Michele played a game similar to tag. I sat on the swing set with Charlotte watching everything.

"This is weird." She commented looking over at me.

"Definitely." A male voice agreed causing me to whip my head around.

"Do you need something Emmett?" I asked as he leaned against the pole holding the swing set up.

"Nothing in particular. I just wanted to talk to someone beside my family." He said flashing me a giant smirk.

"Fair enough." I chuckled, turning my attention back to Charlotte "Do you need me to push you?"

"I can pump." She stated as a focused expression graced her features. Charlotte was not very good at pumping, but it didn't stop her from trying every single time.

"It would be easier if I pushed you though, right?" I suggested.

"But then you can't swing." She countered. For a nine-year-old she was smart. She could easily counter anything I said.

"I can push you, that way Lucy doesn't have to get off the swing." Emmett suggested looking awkward as he shoved him hands into his jean's pockets "If you're both okay with that I mean..."

"Sure! But please don't push too hard. I don't want to fall off." Charlotte agreed giving him a stern look.

"I wouldn't dare." He responded giving the young girl a wink before glancing towards me for permission, loosing his previous awkwardness. He seemed harmless. Sure he was a giant guy, but he hadn't done anything to warrant dislike from us. He didn't even seem fazed by the humans, so why would he hurt my niece. His presence brought this overwhelming feeling that everything would be okay no matter what happened as long as he was there.

I nodded giving him a tight lipped smile. Watching him carefully as he moved over and gave Charlotte a light push. He continued the pace until she was flying in the air. Her giggles filling the space around us.

After observing him for a few minutes to make absolutely sure he wasn't about to crush her, I lightly pushed off the ground with my heels, making the swing move back and forth slightly.

"Auntie Lucy I'm going so high!" She squealed looking over at me.

"You really are Charlie! It's even higher than Uncle Alessio can get you." I said knowing my cousin could hear me from across the yard.