♱Seventy-Two♱

The last time we were in Isabe it was snowing. Now it's spring. Although the weather is somewhat cool, the town somehow looks vastly different without the white snow and icy chill of winter months. Shops now line the streets with their doors or windows open to invite customers and the cool breeze in. Flowers are beginning to bloom along the roadside or within hanging pots outside of shops. Most are wearing light jackets in the pleasant dusk hours.

We arrive at a different hotel than where we stayed last, at least I think we do. I don't remember the name of the first hotel, but the inside of this one looks different so I'm assuming that's because it is. When the clerk learns that the shared room is for Soran and me, there's a very quizzical stare that lasts all of a second until spotting Soran's cold glare. Nothing is said, at least not here. I'm sure he'll have a lot to say to his co-workers once he's gone.

We're led up to our room, me tagging along a few steps behind Soran. It took me nearly the entire carriage ride from the train to the hotel to convince him. I'm still a butler so I shouldn't be walking beside him. I shouldn't be sharing a room with him either yet here we are, now standing in our shared room with the clerk swiftly excusing himself.

Examining our home for the next few days is the best excuse I have to pretend like Soran doesn't exist, otherwise I may explode. The door leads into a foyer where a table sits for small belongings next to an open closet. An office rests to the left with a simple black desk and shelving units. A tall narrow window sits behind said desk with heavy golden curtains. To the right is an open sitting area with a couch and armchair facing a warm fireplace. A dining table with four chairs is located near the balcony doors. There's a bookshelf that is filled from top to bottom, side to side with novels that appear to range from horror to romance. There are two doors are the farthest back wall revealing the separate beds as Soran promised. They're identical in size and shape, probably simple to royals but extravagant to me with plush beds, intricate headboards, silk sheets and heavy satin drapes.

Malatis has already deemed the couch his domain. He is getting fur all over the place. My butler instincts are about to kick in because I have this itch to suddenly clean it up. Soran doesn't allow that though as he's quick to ask, "Shall we go out for dinner or would you rather eat here?"

"H-Huh?" I spin around, a little startled to find Soran near. He gives me a swift once over when spotting my obvious jump of surprise. "Oh, um, here, if that's ok? I'm a little tired actually."

And incredibly embarrassed, but I digress. Give me the evening to work up the courage to go out for dinner some other time. I'm still growing accustomed to all the sudden attention. While Soran always garnered attention, it was much different when it was focused on only him. Now that focus is on us. The eyes of others sometimes makes me feel so small even with Soran beside me. I wonder if there will be a time where I am used to it, or how long that will take.

"Of course it's ok," he responds, already heading over to the menu resting on the coffee table before the couch. Malatis raises his head only for Soran to sit so he may instead rest it in his master's lap. I would roll my eyes, but I'm not even surprised. What an attention whore! Says the one that wishes Malatis would show him a little more attention. I lead a tough life.

"What would you like to eat?" he asks.

"Something fancy!"

Soran chuckles. Taking a seat in the chair, I quietly wait for Soran to order. There's a string on the wall that calls for room service. They arrive shortly after to retrieve our order. Then Soran rummages through his luggage in his room. I'm not sure what he's doing, only hearing the soft sounds of movement. I'm scratching the arms of the chair because I have no idea what else to do and being alone together in the hotel room is making me incredibly nervous.