♱Twenty-Nine♱

After Lord Makai purchases our suits (that I am thankfully unaware of the cost of), we head to retrieve shoes. Once more, I'm measured. I didn't even know there were this specific of measurements for feet but, hey, we learn something new everyday. Yet again, I'm left nervously standing about then pleading with Lord Makai to buy the cheapest pair for me at least.

"Why would I do that?" He asks.

"Because I am only wearing them once."

"You don't know that."

"I probably won't wear them often."

"Then they should be an expensive pair, in order to last and remain comfortable for when they are needed."

He's not budging and, well, I guess I'm getting expensive shoes.

A jewelry store is next, but thankfully it is one owned by Lord Makai. Apparently there was an attempted break in yesterday. While he speaks with the shopkeeper, I admire the store. Immaculate, as expected, clean and polished floors with stone columns holding up a dome ceiling. The shop's architecture is rather peculiar compared to the others, but Lord Makai has the funds to make it stand out. Based on the foot traffic, the shop is popular regardless of who owns it.

The shop is rather busy with ladies and their escorts eyeing items sitting within glass cases. A few lords are among them, mostly speaking of gems to gift their lovers or admiring the pocket watches available. Even I stop to inspect a silver pocket watch that is most certainly imbued with magic for the blue surface moves. The edge has intricate linear designs, but at the center are two stars spinning so it appears as one 10 edged piece. They rest within diamonds that do the same, constantly moving with a sun and moon always directly across from each other along the edges. All that setting atop a blue surface as beautiful as the night sky with sparkling stars.

"Do you like it?"

"Huh?" I glance at Lord Makai that is now standing next to me. I guess he's done talking.

"Ah, yes, it's incredible," I answer with an enthusiastic nod. "How was it made? It must be enchanted."

"It is. A watch that will never stop ticking and do more than just tell time." Lord Makai gestures for the shopkeeper. The keys rattle when she walks. She opens the case and Lord Makai reaches in, holding the watch to me.

"I am not touching that. I'll drop and break it for sure."

"That isn't a problem."

"For you it's—"

Lord Makai presses the watch into my palm. I want to scream but end up staring at it instead. It's too astounding not to stare. I swear there's an enchantment upon it to make you wish to buy it.

But, as Lord Makai suggested, this watch does more than just tell time. Suddenly, the symbols disappear and the gem turns a deep blue. Now it is a compass, the arrow changing direction whenever I spin in place.

"Wow." I whistle, pressing the button to see what the inside has to offer.

Within is the clock, the numbers in roman numerals etched black into solid silver with the cogs visible at the center, but there's a spark. Small sparks like lightning within, must be the magic. As beautiful on the inside as it is out.

"Would you like it wrapped, or prefer to wear it now?"

"W-W-What?" I sputter, staring at the absolute lunatic next to me.

"The pocket watch. We may have it wrapped or you may wear it now."

"I...I, uh, this is—" I point to the price on the glass, which has far too many zeros. "I can't afford this."