♱Sixty-One♱

Third Person P.O.V.

"You did what?" asked Kailyn over a very tense evening tea. The fire crackled in the stone hearth, casting eerie shadows across Soran's apathetic expression.

"I agreed to join The Academy," Soran repeated, peering into the flames that gave him chills to this day.

He looked to Kailyn, not surprised to find his brother's shocked expression. His brother that was once so young but now sat with a wrinkled face and graying hair. Soran saw time ticking away for all those he loved and yet when he looked in a mirror, nothing changed.

"The Academy that is filled with your enemies," said Kailyn, setting his tea aside to lean forward, elbows on his knees and head down. "Soran, you are old enough to make your own decisions, but I must say that this is the dumbest one you've ever made."

"Your faith is much appreciated."

"This has nothing to do with faith but everything to do with common sense. What are you to do at The Academy? I am no fool to think you will merely sit in on classes about lumen and the goddess."

Soran never expected to fool Kailyn. He was often too smart for his own good, this was no different.

"Soran," he whispered, reaching out to press a tender hand to Soran's knee. "They experimented on you once--"

"When I was a child that they could take advantage of and when the crown held more sway over them. Times are different now. The Academy is it's own force to be reckoned with. The Baylor's do not rule them and Her Majesty has no interest in vampires or vilis."

"Yes, but...why the hell would you agree to let them use you as a test subject?" hissed Kailyn, the confusion showing in his narrow gaze and clenched jaw.

Soran knocked Kailyn's hand away when he stood. Approaching the flames, he explained, "The children are growing older. They wish to live their lives and I wish nothing but happiness upon them. Imagine how much easier it will be for them, for all of us, if the nobles are calmed by my cooperation--"

"Fuck the nobles," cried Kailyn with an annoyed huff. "We don't need their calm or their approval, and if the children discovered this is why--"

"You will not tell them."

"You don't have the right to tell me what I will or will not tell my children," hissed Kailyn. "And do you honestly think we can deceive them if we tried? Josette, perhaps, she's a kind girl that only wants to see the good in others. Annalee is too young to understand for now, but Jeyton will catch on the moment you say you're working with The Academy. What will you tell him? What would you have me tell him?" Kailyn shook his head. "I will not lie to him that his uncle is safe."

"I am safe, did you forget? I am not like you. No matter what they do, I can handle it. I already have and I will continue to. With this research--" Soran wrung his hands together, peering into the flames that hissed and sparked. "Perhaps...there will be no one to one day follow me."

Kailyn froze; eyes widened in realization.

"You fear another vampire will be made?" Kailyn whispered, joining Soran at the hearth. His brother peered into the flames as if wishing to fall into them and disappear. Kailyn's hand rested on Soran's shoulder, twisting the fabric into his fingers. "If you help them obtain knowledge on vilis then there is no telling it will stop. Someone will get their hands on the truth, the existence of another is--"

"Inevitable?"

Kailyn nodded. "Unfortunately, but it is not your job to try and stop that. Please, Soran, don't let them use you."