60. Baby's Cry

This is a incident that happened when I was in elementary school. 

After coming back home from school, as every other day, I was talking with my best friend on call. While on call, I faintly heard something like someone talking from her side but it was difficult to hear that noise. She was home alone at the time so I could tell that wasn't from her house.

That voice grew gradually louder and I realized it sounded like a baby crying. She used to live in apartment complex so I thought there was some baby crying nearby her house so I didn't bother about it at first. But slowly it just got too loud and it was bothering. 

"I can hear a baby cry from so long, is there any baby near you?" I asked her. "No, there is no baby. And I cant hear any baby crying here," she denied. While talking about this, I could still hear the baby cry. She got really scared so she told me to come over at her place till her mother comes back home. 

I agreed and went to her place right away.

When I reached her place, there was no baby crying as she had said. We both were terrified and soon her mother came back home. After her mother came, we felt a lot better and I went back home. 

When I went home, mother said a friend of mine called me (different friend). I went in and called back that friend. She wanted to talk about the calligraphy class we went together. While talking about it, she suddenly said, "I can hear a baby crying. Is everything okay?"

Of course there was no baby and I couldn't hear any baby. 

I got terrified and told her about the earlier incident. She got very scared too and started to cry on the call. I called for mom but there was a neighbor at the door and she was busy talking with her and didn't respond to me. 

I was scared to cut the call so I asked her to be on call and we both were crying. After sometime, she suddenly said, "hey, it's stopped".

At the same time, mom came over. "Iwata san (the neighbor) just went home. Were you calling for me?"

"It's late now," I said while crying. But I was glad and soon I cut the call. 

Later when I thought about this, I think this is what happened:
I heard baby cry while I was on call with my best friend, and I went to her house. And when I was on call with another friend after coming back home, she could hear the baby cry. 

May be I brought back the baby with me from my best friend's home. And while on call with another friend, when that baby cry stopped, it was the exact moment that neighbor went back. May be that baby went with that neighbor.