Chapter 10 - That's straight up betrayal

We had decided to take a walk.

Well, I guess not really 'decided'. More like had to. After all, Calvin had taken the car, AKA Shane's only form of transportation, when he left in his little hissy fit. How mature.

Shane had said that Brad (his normal friend), worked at an ice cream shop in the town five blocks over. We figured that was a good place to start.

"This is wrong," I said.

Shane whipped his head towards me, a crinkle in his brow. "Why? Should we go back?" I blinked. He sounded so concerned.

"No," I responded. "It's just..."

"What?" He pleaded.

A moment passed. Then, not being able to hold it in any longer, I blurted it out.

"How can we eat ice cream?! We work at a frozen yogurt shop!! That's straight up betrayal right there, my friend," I finally explained.

Shane stared at me for a second.

And then he laughed.

He laughed, and shoved my shoulder with his, and I laughed, shoving him back.

I supposed the ice cream trip would be our little secret.

***

I smiled and showed my teeth like a little girl as Brad handed me my mint chocolate chip cone over the counter. Shane was already licking his vanilla with chocolate sprinkles. I could've sworn I heard him chuckle at my excitement over the ice cream.

"Are you marrying that ice cream?" Brad asked, a joking expression on his face. I narrowed my eyes.

"Hey! Just because we're here doesn't mean that we think ice cream is better than fro-yo now," I said, pointing at him with mock-warning.

"Speak for yourself," Shane said, nudging me. Brad laughed and shook his head at that.

"That's 6.99, by the way."

I reached to fish in my purse for my wallet, but a broad tan hand grabbed mine before I could. I glanced up at Shane's face, feeling a shiver run down my spine.

"It's cool, shortcake," he said. "I got this one."

I tried to protest while he yanked a few dollar bills out of his wallet, but Shane just told Brad to refuse to accept any money if I tried to pay. I knew there was a blush creeping its way up my neck, so I looked down to hide my face.

Fine, I thought to myself. The next time we go out together, I'm paying. And I won't be taking no for an answer.

Wait. The next time? As if, we would hang out again like this? Like a... date? What the hell was I even thinking?! We weren't even on a date right now. The only date I should be thinking about was the one I'll likely be having with Dash.

Speaking of dates, I glanced towards Brad, who had turned to take care of a new customer. I had barely even registered that we were already walking towards the door. I stopped in my tracks for a second, thinking that I should go back and ask Brad about Myra. I still felt awful that she wasn't considered for what would've been the double date tonight.

"C'mon princess, I can't hold this door forever," Shane's deep voice drawled from behind me. I faced him once more, hurrying through the door.

As I passed over the threshold, I felt something on my back. No, not something, but—

A hand. A broad hand. A broad hand that was attached to an arm that was corded with muscle. And that arm was attached to Shane himself.

My breath hitched in my throat, and for just a fragment of time, things slowed down. His hand was feathery light on the small of my back, the heat from his palm noticeable through the thin fabric of my sundress.