Chapter 7 - It'll bite you in the ass

I was ready. I had raced home last night, hopped on my computer, and read every article under the sun about what to do as a beginning babysitter. This was the time to finally make an impression on Dash and show him that I was wife material. I didn't want to mess it up.

As I stood at the door to his giant mansion (of course he's rich, he's perfect) I double checked my reflection in my phone, and looked in the big tote slung across my shoulder, confirming for the 8th time that the board games, children's books, and gummy bears didn't miraculously disappear.

Oh crap. I forgot diapers.

Wait, she's five. She's got to be potty-trained by now, right?

I won't last a second with this babysitting thing.

Before I could change my mind and let my nerves take over, I pressed the doorbell and listened to the chimes as I waited for someone to open the door.

As I rocked on my toes, the door finally swung open. And, as expected, my heart dropped to my stomach. Dash was standing there, with a dazzling smile, wet hair, and wearing sweats.

I felt like I would pass out. How can a human be so beautiful? It wasn't fair.

"Hey, Beena, you look...you look really nice," He finally said. I did? I mean I did try a little bit. Still, it was only a pair of jeans, a slightly cropped tank top, and some lip gloss and perfume. I guess I did kinda clean up well. Good job, Beena! Score one for the boys back home.

I smiled back at him and tilted my head just a bit, like Scarlet always said to do. Myra said her number one tip around guys was to just be yourself, but Scarlet said it was all in the body language. I never thought I'd get the chance to use either of their advice.

"Thanks, Dash," I stopped myself from chickening out too early and added, "You look really nice too."

I wasn't sure if I was hallucinating or not, but I could swear there was a tinge of red on his cheeks. Eh, maybe he's just still warm because he got out of the hot shower? Could be. There's no way Dash Newton would be blushing over someone like me.

He waved his hand as a gesture for me to come in, and I stepped over the threshold as carefully as I could, praying that I wouldn't trip or do something else to embarrass myself.

As soon as I was all the way into the foyer, my jaw dropped. His house was beautiful. The chandelier that hung from the ceiling glittered, and the massive sweeping staircase was open in front of me, leading to another floor. There was some of the finest furniture I had ever seen in my life. I tensed at every glass sculpture or vase. If I lived here, those would all be broken in half a second.

"Your house is absolutely.."

"Ridiculous?" Dash interrupted, "Yeah, I know. We really don't need all this space. I would much rather live in a smaller house and give the extra money to someone who needs it. My Mom's kinda crazy about image and everything," He stuck his hands in his pocket bashfully. Okay, what was this guy's flaw?! Seriously, perfect looks, perfect life, perfect personality... some people had it all I guess.

"No, no, I was gonna say that I think your house is absolutely beautiful. I've never seen anything like it. But, anyway, that's so sweet of you to be thinking of other people like that. I think so many people forget that others aren't so privileged," I mention, trying to sound smart and sophisticated. Myra's voice saying to be more myself echoed in my head. Oh, shut up mocking Myra memory!

Dash ran his hand through his still-wet golden locks and glanced down, smiling. I felt myself smiling too, the blush spreading over my cheeks. I usually felt the need to cover up my blush, but now, I kind of wanted him to see it. My heart hammered just standing next to him. He was so handsome, and so nice... how did every girl on the planet just not fall in love with him?