Chapter 5 - It's Not Flirting

"Never in my life have I met anyone so immature and selfish as you both! I feel ashamed, Shane, to call you my son, and as for you Beena, I might be second-guessing your job. I know that Shane isn't the most perfect child, but I expected more from you, Miss Harley. And furthermore..." I sighed quietly, trying to drone out Deborah's constant nagging. She's been going on for about 10 minutes already, and frankly, I felt threatened. She seemed like the sweetest little woman in the world, but I learned quickly that she could be very vicious when she's angry.

Shane and I both sit in one of the booths next to each other, and by the look on his face, it's not the first time he's heard this conversation. Whereas I'm sitting quite rigid and nervously, he's slouched and almost relaxed. How does he not have any anxiety over the fact that his mother is practically on the verge of killing him?

As I twiddle my thumbs, I sense him leaning towards my ear. "Why are you so nervous? Trust me, she's all talk." He whispers so that she doesn't hear. I turn to him and shrug vaguely, scared of what Deborah might do if she catches me talking.

I breathe out of my mouth and look up to see that Deborah has stopped yelling and is looking at us expectantly. "Does this mean that we're fired?" I mutter in a small voice.

She heaves a big sigh and closes her eyes. "Well, because Shane, you're my son, and Beena, I do believe that you are a responsible young lady, no, I'm not going to fire you. However, I'm going to keep my eye on both of you. No more shenanigans or I really will fire you." She pauses for a second, and takes a huge, calming breath before continuing. "Since the shop is a mess, we'll close up for today and deal with cleaning tomorrow. You're off the hook, you two." With an exasperated huff, she stalks away into the back room, leaving me a bit shocked. She wasn't going to fire us? I thought for sure we'd be banned for life. Although, I was pretty responsible if I do say so myself.

I get up, and step over blobs of fro-yo that were left on the tiled floor. Grabbing my cooler and stuffing some stuff back inside of it, I turn for the door, sighing. I run my hands through my hair, only to find that there's yogurt in it, making it hard and sticky. Freaking long hair.

As soon as my hand reaches the doorknob, an (annoying) voice stops me.

"Hey Shortcake, wait up!" I look back, rolling my eyes and see Shane jogging towards me.

"Is this going to be a thing that you call me from now on, because if that's the case then I'm going to have to slap you." I say, a giggle slipping out of my mouth.

"Go right ahead." He leans his cheek towards me with a smirk.

"Yeah, no thanks." I grin, turning for the door. I push it open, the bells jingling above, and we both exit the store.

I watch as Shane strolls through the parking lot and climbs into a sleek black BMW. As I unlock the door to my car, I can't help but feel a little embarrassed by my crappy old mini van that was a hand-me-down from my mom. I blame her for my social awkwardness.

"Nice car," I say, and the jealousy is clearly evident in my voice. However, he doesn't really seem to notice.

"Thanks," he grins boyishly, unlocking it.

"I'm guessing your family has a lot of money, that car looks pretty expensive." I mention climbing into my car and rolling down the window so that I could still talk to him. He walks over to my car and leans on it the side of it.

"Actually no, I mean they payed for some of it but I payed for the most of it. I've been working at Sweet Scoops since I was 13, so I have a lot of savings." He explains matter-of-factly. "See you tomorrow Shortcake..." He mock salutes me. I narrow my eyes and giggle in response and begin to start up my car as he walks away.