Chapter 14 - Realisation

Mallika's POV

As I got in, my Mum hurried up to the door, knowing I had forgotten my umbrella at home, despite her constant reminders.

"Are you alright?! My God, you'll get si-" She stopped speaking when she saw me putting away Sumedh's umbrella.

"What happened, dear?" My dad came up to us.

"It's okay, Mumma. Sumedh lent me his umbrella. Remind me to return it tomorrow." My mom shook her head at my carelessness and dad smiled. 

I went up to my room and lied down on my bed. Suddenly I remembered that Sumedh was saying something when I got down. I took my phone and decided to text him to ask him about it, in case it was important.

As I began to type, my phone beeped and a message appeared from the man himself. I chuckled.

'Don't forget the umbrella tomorrow. Also I'll be picking you up at 07.30. P.S. I don't really care about the umbrella, only following my friend's instructions!' 

'Sure, sure! By the way, what were you saying, I couldn't catch that because of the heavy rain.' I erased my previous message and typed this instead.

'Tell you tomorrow. Goodnight love' the text read. My jaw dropped and my eyes widened in shock. 

Goodnight LOVE?! What?! Was that a mistake? God, maybe I'm just freaking out. Boys say stuff like this all the time, right? Does Sumedh? Should I reply? I won't. What if it was meant for someone else?

I bit my lip so hard, it was about to cause a bruise. 

"Miku..Honey.. dinner is ready. Freshen up and come downstairs, okay!" Mum called from downstairs. I took one last glance at my phone and kept it on my bedside table. I went to freshen up, had a very quiet dinner with my parents and came back up.

I changed into my pyjamas and went to bed. I tried to sleep. I couldn't. I kept staring at my phone on the bedside table. Somehow, I finally fell asleep amidst tossing and turning.

The next morning, I felt a hand touching my forehead and the covers were brought up to my neck, as if someone was trying to keep me warm. I opened my eyes, I saw my Mum sitting on the bed with a worried expression.

"M-maa?" I managed to get out. I didn't feel so good.

"Yes Dear, I'm right here. You rest." She said and I looked at her, confused. Rest? I had work.

"Huh? Rest? Mum, I have to go to work. Sumedh will be he-" I stopped when I saw the clock. 8.15. I tried to pull the covers off me but was so weak, I couldn't even get up. I was fine last night. Ugh.

"You have high fever, dear. Just rest, I've told Kira to inform your manager. Go back to sleep. You need rest. It must have happened because of the heavy rain. The umbrella couldn't have protected you so well." Mum explained.

I opened my mouth to say something but I couldn't. I closed my eyes and opened them instantly as Sumedh crossed my mind.

I hadn't replied him from last night. What if he thought I hadn't replied because he had said 'love'? Damn it.

I looked to my right and tried to grab my phone. I was pulled back to the bed by my Mum.

"Rest Miku. You can use your phone later." I shut my eyes tightly, trying hard to not think about what Sumedh must be thinking about me.

After a while, I heard some shuffling in my room and felt a weird tingling sensation on my forehead. I must have frowned with my eyes closed.

I sighed and opened my eyes to see my mum sitting next to me. I smiled at her and fell back asleep.

Sumedh's POV

How could you do this, Sumedh? You've just known her. And now, you've scared her off. She must be thinking I'm some cheap guy who calls every girl 'love'. Ugh.

I couldn't sleep the whole night. I had a bad feeling in my gut. Was Mallika alright?

The next day I woke up and got ready to go pick Mallika. I hope she was fine.

"Sumedh, Miku's not going to work today.. Kira just told me." Dau said, just as I was about to step into the car. What? Why?

"Why Dau?" I asked.

"Kira didn't say anything more. Just told me to inform you, so you don't wait for her." He said.

I knew it. I had a bad feeling since I sent that text. But what happened? I hope she's fine.

I left from home and went to the building. I couldn't concentrate all day. So I left early and went to Mallika's house instead. Her dad liked me so it wouldn't be too weird.

Once I was there, I found out that Mallika was sick. Must have been the weather yesterday, we'd been outside for quite a while and the weather had been chilly. It was my fault. I should have known.

I went to see her, but she was fast asleep. Her mum gave me a tight smile, sitting next to her on the bed. She left the room when I came in.

I sat next to Mallika. She looked so fragile. She needed someone to protect her at all costs. She was so precious.

I took a post it note from her desk and scribbled 'get well soon, friend..looking forward to Saturday :)'

I kept the note under her phone so I was sure she'd read it.

"Sumedh, will you have a cup of tea?" Mallika's mum called from downstairs.

I took a last look at her and got the urge to kiss her forehead. I pushed her hair out of her face and placed a soft kiss on her forehead. There was a cute frown on her face just as I pulled back. I smiled and left.

I had a cup of tea, her parents thanked me for checking up on her. And I left to go home.

Get well soon my love.. Well.. Here we go. I love her. I sighed.

______________________________________________________________________________

Hello guys!

Sumedh finally realised he loves Mallika. When will she find out? How will she respond to that note?

Please vote and comment if you liked this chapter.

Also, a massive thanks to those who vote regularly. It means a lot. ❤️

Lots of love

-A_girl_imagines