Chapter 20: Aang

As always, Aang woke with the sun. There was something about the morning light and the start of a new day that rejuvenated him. Made him feel like the world was going to work all of its issues out.
Nothing could hide from the morning sun, not a blade of grass or a single leaf on a tree. Any shadow that was berthed from the night was swept away, banishing all the dark that crept with it.
The sun brought life, hope, and balance. Things that Aang, as the avatar, was meant to spread.

This morning was no different.

He hopped out of his bed, a smile on his face and a new spring in his step. Things were about to change for the better, he knew they were. He and Zuko had reached a middle ground; they had stopped the feud that was between them and had turned over a new page of their story.

They were friends again.

And for the first time in six years, Aang had hope that they could be more than that.

He began his daily regimine, grabbing an apple as he zipped out the door and into the brisk morning air. Dew drops decorated the garden, beautiful flowers blooming around every corner. It had truly become spring, and it couldn't be more fitting. With a hop, skip and a jump, Aang had arrived in his training area to start his exercises.

He started with air, naturally, as he had spent so much of his life mastering that element in particular that it was the best way for him to warm up. He moved through his forms, bending the air to his will for an hour before switching to water, as he had learned that next. His movements were strong, sure, as the river erupted around him, dancing with utmost grace as he smiled and poured his emotions into the water. Next was earth, which he had fun with. It always was something he would spend an hour and a half on, as it did take him some time still to bend his natural elements opposite. But the element that took him the longest was always fire, because he could never summon the flame. He practiced for hours on end, until the sun had reached its peak at noon, when he finally had given up. It was later now, and Zuko was most likely awake, so he decided to cut his losses and retire for the day.

He had other things on his mind.

Aang headed into the house with a bounce in his step and down the hall to Zuko's chambers. With a deep breath, he knocked on the door.

"Zuko, it's me, I'm going to make oats for breakfast, do you want some?" He asked, smiling at how domestic this was. It was like he had finally found himself someone he belonged with. A home.

"Okay, give me a second." His voice came faintly from the other side of the door. He sounded groggy, his voice filled with sleep and it only made him smile more.

When Zuko left his room, they walked to the kitchen in silence and ate in silence, a comfortable silence. A happy silence. A silence that he could sit in forever and be comfortable. A silence that berthed a new idea.

"Let's go swimming." He burst.

"What?" Zuko scoffed, a piece of his oats flying out of his mouth and onto the table.

"You heard me, there's a river a little bit away where I practice my water bending, let's go swimming! It'll be fun!" Aang beamed at Zuko and hoped that he would agree.

"I don't know..." he seemed hesitant, but Aang was nothing if not determined.

"It'll be just like old times, except now you won't be frustrated with my inability to fire bend!" He laughed and shoved his shoulder playfully. Aang knew that this was a big leap for them, since they had only become friends again recently. He didn't know if he had pushed him too far and if he had just broken their already fragile friendship.

"I... Okay, sure, sounds fun." Zuko gave him a faint smile and nodded, and all of his worries melted away.

They finished up their food quickly, placing the bowls in a tub of water to be washed. Aang then lead Zuko out the door and toward his training area, and he coule practically feel every atom in his body vibrating with excitement.
Naturally, they walked in silence, as Zuko was not, and had always been not much of a talker. Aang knew that his pestering had irritated the older boy when they were much younger, and he hoped that he would not bother him again. So they walked, side by side, meer inches apart, as they reached the riverbank.