Chapter two - Cafeteria

Clara's POV

"Hey don't you think it's a bit odd all of our names start with a C?" Cleo says as we walk down to the lunchroom.

"Are you just now realizing this Cleo?" I ask and Cleo turns to me.

"uhh, maybe?"

"God you are so slow I still love you though" I give her a cheeky smile."Cassie you're awfully quiet today" she's looking down at her phone

"hmmh? Sorry I was texting Jason." she says looking up to meet my eyes.

" ugh,when are you going to stop messing around with so many guys?"I raise my eyebrow in concern "You should think about settling down with one guy, you know that?" I tease her.

"Yeah yeah. Whatever at least I get to have fun unlike you" she says playfully. I know she is joking but it still got to me. "Hey I'm sorry I didn't mean it like that"

"No no, it's fine you're right" I say walking to the cafeteria a bit faster.

Alex's POV
same time

I walked into the hallways and caught up with William, Roman, and Manny. We've been friends since we were young yet, we're all very different.

"Did you guys see Clara? I heard she's only here on a scholarship" Roman mutters. Man, I really hate this school. Brisbane Preparatory High School is a 'prestigious school' built for the rich to send their kids off so they could live a normal highschool life. Of course, that doesn't work out because most of the kids come to schools in private cars or expensive sports cars.

"Can you guys not spread rumors? It's childish." I say flatly. I feel like being frank gets the point across.

We get closer to the cafeteria and stop by our lockers. "So the school dance is coming up, you guys aren't asking anyone out, right?" Casey says.

"Willam come on! It's highschool we're supposed to be dating and having fun!" Roman rebutes.

"But it's tradition to go as a group every year" William and Roman rumble on about this for what seems like forever.

We finally reach the lunch room, we get in line and get our food.
"So what are ya'll doing over the weekend?" Manny asks. I ignore what he says and my eyes seem to fall onto Clara as she walks through the cafeteria doors. She looks upset; in distress almost.

"Earth to Alex" Elizabeth waves her hand in front of my face as she sits down next to me and the rest of the group with her food. I'm not sure how our friend group came to be exactly. Before now we were all alone, we decided it was better to be lonely together than apart. We are totally different but it works some how. I still feel like an outsider around them most of the time. They all care about me though and that's all that matters.

On another note Elizabeth is totally into me, but she hasn't got the hint that I don't feel the same way. "What are you looking at?"

"hmmh? Oh nothing nothing." I answer quickly. Roman follows my line of sight and he finds Clara.

"AWEE DOES ALEX HAVE A LITTLE CRUSH" He puts his hand on my shoulder and ruffles it up.

"Get . Your . Hand . Off . Of . Me" I say slowly trying to calm myself down. I hate being touched. I've always hated it especially without warning. It's called haphephobia and it's an anxiety disorder.

"Hey man, I'm sorry I forgot I didn't mean to" Roman tries to defend himself. I'm not mad at him, I just need to leave.

"Don't worry about it I just need some air"  I grab my jacket and walk out the doors. I feel like I'm going to pass out or something. I need some fresh air.