March 11, 1940

March 11, 1940

Dear Diary,

Shalom. I'm sorry I haven't written in the past few days. I've been packing for my trip to America. I don't want to leave my family, but Mama convinced me that it is necessary. As the only blonde in my family, I am the only one who can travel to America with little chance of being stopped by the Nazis. If I get to America and make enough money, I can send for the rest of my family. Mama is risking her own life to accompany me so I don't have to make this treacherous journey alone. I just wish I wasn't the only one going to the country where the streets were said to be paved with gold. Oh, I would feel so guilty if anything should happen to them in my abscence. I won't see my siblings, cousins, and May for oh so long it was painful to even think about. We only have about half the money to pay for a single ticket to America. To pay for the tickets, Mama says I have to get a job since I look Aryan. I got an odd job as a fence painter. I work at Mr. Wilson's paint store west of Mrs. Simon's place. The shop is run down and old, but it was the only place I could find where no questions were asked. I get paid very little, but it's enough to pay for a single ticket if I save up for a month or so. I don't know how we're going to pay for Mama's ticket, though. I pray I don't have to go alone. The journey is supposed to take months, and I just couldn't bear living months without my family.