March 5, 1940

March 5, 1940

Dear Diary,

Shalom. My name is Sylvia Zipper. I live in Poland. I am 5 foot 2, I weigh about 100 pounds, and I am 14 years old. My hair is a thin dirty blonde and I have hazel eyes. I am the only one in my family who looks more Aryan than Jewish. Mama wanted me to live comfortably pretending to be someone else's daughter, but I refused to go anywhere without her. and I am obedient to my parents and older siblings. I often help out with chores, and I am kind and think first of others. I will not stand for anyone picking on my younger siblings, though. I can be tough when I want to. I tell funny jokes, and I enjoy writing and reading the few books in our possession. I have very few possesions. I have a little doll named Sally, given to me by Mama before the war began, and a change of clothes. Besides that, all I have is you, diary, given to me by Aunt May. I also have a soccer ball, but that means nothing to me now that we are restricted to the attic. I am Jewish, but I am just like all the other girls. We play the same games, enjoy the same dolls, yet I am prosecuted and they are not. Hitler is after us. But it's not all bad. Mrs. Simon is very kind to us. She lets us hide from the Nazis in her attic. We've been living here for a year, and nobody has discovered our existance yet. I pray it remains that way. I have five siblings and seven cousins. I once had a lot of friends, but they are all gone. I'd rather not think about them and their unfortunate fates...