March 20, 1940- Later

Dear Diary,

Shalom. Mama was right. It is very crowded. It is as noisy as one thousand seagulls. Many want to escape to America. I wonder how many people were affected by that evil man Hitler. Mama says millions. It is a wonder that one man could cause so much damage to the entire world. You would think that enough people would realize how morally wrong it is and attempt to stop him, but no, the world was too blind to notice Hitler's true cruelty and only focused on the public image he tried so hard to create for himself to mask who he truly was. Because of him, my family has been taken into captivity, and I know not whether or not they remain alive. I will not know the wellfare of my family members who have thusfar evaded captivity, and I will not see them for many years time. If this is a dream, it is a terrible nightmare.

We're close to the boat now. It looks as if there are a thousand silver diamonds shining off of it. It is the largest thing I have ever seen! Mama is just now saying that I should not write while I'm walking, but I just cannot help myself. I want to keep track of everything I've said and done, for this is a big journey and exciting life experience. I wonder what it's like to be on a ship. I can't wait to find out!