Chapter 45

Saturday, June 29th 2013

At Sea

The sun had just barely crested over the horizon and already was Valarie and Emma awake and were getting dressed in their uniforms. This was the type of situation that Valarie would otherwise be intensely embarrassing and awkward for her. She would recall back in her freshman year when it was required for her, and other freshmen, to have PE. Going outside and doing exercises and other activities was the fun part. That she did enjoy doing and really, PE was the highlight of her freshman year. The part that she didn't particularly enjoy was the locker room part. There, she and the other students would have to dress into their gym clothes. In a rather enclosed spaced with people on either side mere inches apart, it was uncomfortable for her. Even though the locker rooms are separated, with boys and girls having their own areas, did little to put her at ease, always dressing rapidly to spend as little time as possible. Yet, at this moment, she didn't feel that way. Being in the privacy of your apartment and being with someone that you've known for a decade made her comfortable enough, to an extent that she peeked at Emma as she dressed. She did a poor job being discreet, though Emma wasn't at all upset. Because, well, she was doing the same thing.

"You, ah, got an eyeful?" Emma then said

Startled, Valarie quickly averted her gaze. "No,no...um...no." she stuttered out.

"Ha. Whatever you say," Emma remarked, grinning. Once she was done she walked to the kitchen. "I'll take care of breakfast."

"That's kind of you."

Valarie sat at the kitchen table as Emma got to work. The sound and aroma of cooking eggs filled the room.

"So," Emma then spoke as she cooked. "Practice at sea? How's that going to work?"

"Well, Madison has said that a section of the ship has been cordoned off for us to do our practices. Where exactly, I don't know."

"Hmm. Practice is going to be interesting I bet today."

The two shared breakfast and once that part of their morning was taken care of, they left their apartment and went toward the garage. They were by joined by Heather, Ashley, and soon, the rest of the team as they all went. Arriving at the garage, they found Buchanan waiting patiently.

"Good morning everyone," she greeted warmly. "As you all know, we're going to have practice today. Though, since we are on a ship, things will of course be different. Madison will explain."

A moment later, Madison arrived in the garage, pulling a wagon behind her. On this wagon, was a superbly accurate scale model of school ship they were on. Even a scale model of the Rembrandt was obscene. It was several feet long.

"That's one hell of a toy." Ashley remarked.

"Nice isn't it?" Madison said. "Wonderfully crafted by the carpentry club. Now, for where you'll do your practice," she continued, gesturing everyone closer. The Mojave Rose team surrounded the model and paid close attention. "This stretch of so-called 'wilderness' is two miles long and one mile wide. Located toward the rear, this area is called "Inspiration Park", Madison explained, pointing toward a section of the ship that was covered with green. "It's called "Inspiration" because once you go there, you get inspired by all the scenery to create something. On Saturdays, for your practices, you will have exclusivity. The park is based on Yellowstone so the environment is varied and there are also bridges...oh right bridges! Ah, they they were built to support the trucks that made the park in the first place, but, I'm not terribly sure if they can support your tanks"

"We won't mess with them." Valarie said.

"Alrighty. Now, there's one more thing," Madison added. She retreated out of view for a moment and then returned with another wagon. This one filled with a multitude of boxes. "Some equipment for you guys." Excited murmurs erupted among the team. Madison grabbed one of the boxes and opened it, revealing a top-of-the-line tablet. It was then handed to Valarie, who looked at it amazed. It was the nicest piece of electronics she has ever got her hands on.