Chapter 25

Wednesday, April 10th, 2013

After months of anticipation the day had finally arrived. Race day. In one of the many hotel rooms, Aurora and her crew were all dressed in their uniforms. The Puma commander took a last glance at the mirror and nodded in satisfaction.

"You guys ready?" she asked.

"I'm ready to drive like a god-damn bastard." Riley said, smiling

"As long as you two don't roll the damn thing, I'm happy" Avery said.

With it being a race and not a shooting match, there was no need for Avery to be in the vehicle, where she is both the gunner and the loader of the Puma. The trio of girls left their room and took an elevator down to the lobby, where the rest of the team had congregated.

"Good, everyone is here." Buchanan said upon seeing the Puma crew.

"Today's the day. We've prepared as much as we can. You all have your roles and the only thing expected from you is your best. The raceway is just outside of the city and all the equipment that we need is already there. Waiting for us."

With a gesture of her hand, Buchanan led the team out from the lobby to a bus parked outside. Once they all boarded, they were off. The city streets were soon exchanged for more open roads of the freeway. Within the hour, they all saw the place. The raceway. Usually serves NASCAR when they come down here, but for today, instead of super fast cars speeding around the track, it was not as fast armored cars going around the track. The lowered speeds didn't make the spectacle any less thrilling however. The stands were populated with eager spectators, their eagerness telling the team just how loud the crowd was.

"This is something else." Valarie noted.

"Oh man this is gonna be so intense! Wish it was us racing though." Ashley commented.

"Well, if the T-44 could somehow drive thirty miles per hour faster, we might then have a shot."

The team went to an area that was underneath the track. An area that was for the team's participating in the race. It was there they could now scoop out the competition. There were four other vehicles in this underground garage. All competing against Mojave Rose in a bid to win a Panther II.

- M8 Greyhound

- T17E1 Staghound

- Daimler Armored Car

- AMD Panhard 178

Valarie looked at them all, studying. Aurora walked up to her and tapped her shoulder.

"Alright you tank nerd, how's the competition? Are they fast?"

"I know roughly how fast they go but that's with a full crew, ammo, and other equipment. If they are like us, they too have gutted their cars for the sake of speed. It's an evening playing field at the very least."

Aurora inhaled deeply.

"Aw man. I was hoping we'd run away with this thing."

"Ah, we dream of that but it almost never happens."

Redwood led the team to the pit crew area where they would remain for the rest of the race. Aurora and Riley stayed behind with Buchanan. They were with the Puma, giving a quick visual inspection.

"Tires good. Engine good. We're all set." Riley informed.

"The officials should've done all that was needed so that you don't have to do anything before the race." Buchanan said.

"That's the hope, anyway."

The two girls climbed into their positions.

"Just sit tight you two. Wait for the announcement to drive onto the starting line. Oh, and one more thing."