Chapter 84

Monday September 30th, 2013

Catalina's School Carrier

Port of Iquique, Chile

Her breathing was back to normal. The aches were gone. She no longer felt the uncontrollable urge to empty her stomach. The illness that put Valarie through hell in more ways than one has finally been vanquished. Never before has the feeling of being normal ever been so satisfying, and she relished in every breath she took in through her now-clear nostrils. The sunlight that shined across her room warmed her skin, and she laid in bed for a few more minutes to bathe in the rays before finally rising.

She went straight toward the living room to wake a sleeping Madison on the couch.

"Mmm, how'd you sleep?" her sister said amid yawns.

"The best in a long time," Valarie answered with a delightful grin. "God damn, Madison, the team won. I never doubted them, but...there were some parts I didn't know at all how things would play out. I don't know all the details right now, but I will when the team comes back to the carrier tomorrow."

"I'm sure the things they'll say can fill a book," Madison stood up from the couch and stretched to the point they were audible pops. A sofa wasn't the most ideal place to sleep on. Her hair and clothes were in a mess. "I'm gonna shower up. Oh, and I'm gonna borrow one of your spare school uniforms if you don't mind."

"Yeah, go right ahead."

"Thanks!" Madison responded. She was halfway to the bathroom when her voice rang out once more. "You and I are going to hang out all day today. I've got something interesting I want to share with you later today."

The bathroom door was locked, and the sound of flowing water was heard before Valarie could even begin to ask what Madison meant by 'interesting'. She ran it through her mind for a few short moments before setting it aside. Her sister will explain in due time, for now, Valarie resumed relishing not only in the warm sunlight but in the more incredible ecstasy of a secured victory. Though her mind was already concerning itself with the particulars of training and preparation for the next match, Valarie also managed to put these thoughts to the side. She wanted this day to be nice and easygoing.

At least for today. Before the routine and heavy responsibilities return in full force.

***

The weather outside matched the walk to school; pleasant. The late September sun did not shine too harshly to be uncomfortable, and the wind that blew through the streets made their hair dance. As Valarie and Madison walked, the sisters chatted about whatever happened to strike their minds. The match dominated most of their conversation, with Madison sharing the details Valarie missed when she went to bed yesterday. She silently nodded and made the occasional brief remark every now and then at everything Madison regaled...until she was informed of a particular heavy tank's demise.

"What? Juniper went down? That happened when I was asleep?" Valarie remarked. The agitation in her voice spiked but lowered right back down.

"It was brutal, frankly," Madison said. "They took some kind of damage where they couldn't drive forward anymore, but not enough where they couldn't move at all. They turned themselves around and just started blasting. Then, they were swallowed in a big fiery explosion. It reminds me of that little trick you did in your Arizona match way back when."

Valarie sighed and groaned. She looked at Madison with a real face of displeasure. "Don't remind me of that. Please."

"Alright, alright," Madison backed off. She was somewhat confused why the Arizona match was a sour spot for Valarie but thought it wise not to press her for more info. "Anyway, yeah, that was the end of them."