Chapter 26

Thursday, April 11th, 2013.

The storm today was at its strongest. Not a speck of the blue sky could be seen. Since the early morning hours, it has rained incessantly. Thunder roared more frequently, some soft thuds, others more akin to violent explosions. The thick gray clouds made the day dark, only infrequently illuminated by brilliant bolts of lightning. Horrible weather to go sight-seeing in. But, if there was a particular place that you've wanted to visit since you were a toddler, a place that is essentially your Mecca for your particular passion, not even the literal apocalypse would stop you. This particular person was Mia, commander of the M5 Stuart, yet for today, tankery won't be on her mind at all. The convention was fun and all, but there was something, to her, supremely more fascinating to go and see. When she was picking at her clothes, she was meticulous about it. After considerable thought, she decided on a simple gray t-shirt and jeans with a jacket on account of the weather. She tapped her pockets to ensure that all her belongings were where they should. With a smile, she was ready.

"Today's the day. After all these years dreaming about it." she said.

"Mission control." Olivia chimed in.

"Oh yes, mission control." Mia confirmed.

The other two crew members of the Stuart, Sophie and Mary, who are the loader and driver respectively, were still all cozy in their makeshift beds on the floor in their room.

"Have fun but I'm staying. I want to sleep in today." Sophie informed.

"Same here." Mary added, still half-asleep.

"I'll go with you." Olivia said.

Her smile now greater, Mia reached for a pamphlet on the bed.

"Awesome. I know the bus we need to take to get us there. Let's go."

Mia and Olivia left their room and walked toward the elevator which took them all the way down to the lobby. All the doors they past housed their fellow team members. One of which was the T-44 crew. They were all awake. Heather, Ashley, and Emma were huddled around Valarie as she was writing on a piece of paper.

"Now that you're all up to speed, any of you got any suggestions to beef up this objection that's not already written down?" Valarie asked.

"Um, I'm guessing that we can't just say we like Miss Buchanan and that's why we object?" Ashley meekly suggested.

"I'm afraid not."

They all sighed.

"This can't be allowed to happen. The whole team loves her. If she's gone everyone will hate it." Heather remarked.

"No one indeed." Ashley added.

"Valarie, mind going over what you've got?" Emma asked.

"Sure."

Valarie cleared her throat and read aloud what she wrote.

"We, Mojave Rose High School, issues a formal objection to the proposal by the American Tankery Association to modify the criteria for tankery instructors as listed in rule fifty-seven, section six, item 'J'. We view the proposed modification, to make said instructions stricter, as needless. Our reasoning is as follows; One..."

She was interrupted by a knock at the door.

"Oh! That's Ray." she said as she walked over to open the door.

He entered in with some papers of his own.

"Good morning guys. I've got some things to share."

"That's good 'cause we're out of ideas of what else to add." Emma admitted.