4. Gina's Guardian

Author's Note: This short story was originally written for the "Just The Beginning" prompt for the weekly contest on reedsy.com

     It was the saddest day of young Gina's life

     It was the saddest day of young Gina's life. To say she had taken the death of her mother badly would have been the understatement of the decade. Young Gina's grades taken a total nose dive, and she stopped participating in any extracurricular activities. She would spend every single day locked away in her room, refusing to speak with anyone. When they originally learned about the cancer a few years back, her mother had brushed it off as if it wasn't something that was going to bother them. Just another bump in the road, she would always tell her daughter, but there was something in the young teen's gut that never believed the bull that her family was trying to sell. Her mother was the one dying but she was more concerned about her feelings, which was the kind of person she was. It was when Gina and her mom moved out of the only home they knew into Grandma and Grandpa's house that everybody had finally started to realize how serious this illness was getting.

     The extra money from the sale of the house in a sellers market helped pay for the chemo-therapy treatments and everyone hoped that would do the trick. Yet just like her mother, the cancer was stubborn and refused to quit. The day they put her mother into the ground was the saddest she ever knew, and she cried more tears that day than it felt like she had the previous few years.

     Her grandparents tried to comfort her, but it was no use. Gina would eat some food, and even watch the odd hockey games with grandpa, but in the end she'd lock herself away in her bedroom and not come back out until it was time to go back to school. Even when she would eventually emerge from her room to eat or do anything, Gina was distant and unwilling to talk. Despite their efforts, even their best counselors were unable to crack let alone tear down that mental wall she had constructed. It was going to take some time for her to get over this, everyone knew that, but soon people started to become concerned that Gina might become suicidal. Grandma started to hide the kitchen knives, and they both checked on her often to make sure she didn't try to harm herself while going through what was a very difficult grieving process.

     One day Gina was pulled out of English class just before lunch, but she was willing to appease the councilor if it meant she could skip class and get avoid some of her boring teachers. Yet when she walked into the room where the councilor usually was, he wasn't there. There was a different man in his place, and while he looked around the same age, he was dressed a little differently. He was wearing a rather impressive suit, tie, and was clean shaven. There were gray hairs on his head, but it was only on the sides around his ears which actually looked pretty cool.

     "Hello, Gina." The man said, reach out his hand to shake hers. "My name is Jordan Gibson."

     "Where's Mr. Franklin?" Gina asked, as she didn't take well to change and wasn't impressed with this last minute substitution.

     "He's somewhere in here, but I'm going to be talking to you today." Jordan replied.

     "And why should I?" Gina asked.