1. The Final Straw

Author's Note: This short story was originally written for the "Planet or Plastic " contest that was being hosted by National Geographic and Wattpad. I didn't win, but was still happy with the story that came as a result of this brief inspiration.

       "Look, I'm glad you  like that program, I really do

      "Look, I'm glad you like that program, I really do." David said, "But that doesn't mean I have to like that steaming turd that is a disgrace to the television industry."

      "Don't be so harsh," Phil replied, "Some people like it, so respect it."

      "No Sir," David retorted, "I can accept that bad taste exists, and that some people have it, but not respect it."

      "Fair enough," Phil conceded, "I surrender. You're right."

      "You'd save us a lot of time and bickering if you just assume that more often," David informed him.

      "Duly noted," Phil acknowledged, "But remind me again who enjoyed watching Sword Art Online beyond its first season..."

      "Touché, my friend." David said, chuckling.

       The waitress arrived, placing a refilled diet soda on the table. The young lady (whose name tag read Jessica) was able to anticipate, most likely by using the force, that he needed one and it was impressive. David would have considered a bigger tip had she not made a massive, careless mistake.

      "Excuse me," David said, "There's a problem with my drink."

      "Oh," Jessica replied, "Is it the wrong flavor?"

      "No." David answered, "Why is there a straw in it?"

      "I'm sorry." She said, "Force of habit."

      "That needs to change." David informed her.

      "Not here man," Phil said, almost regrettably.

      "It must be here," David insisted, "This is where most of the waste happens. Look at my table, Jessica. What do you see?"

      Jessica paused for a moment, "There's two straws."

      "Yes," David agreed, "We didn't need a new straw. Even if I changed my mind, there's one here already. We have oceans full of plastic, and turtles have straws up their nose because of this! You probably toss out hundreds a day, maybe thousands!"

      "I'm sorry," Jessica apologized. "What would you prefer I do?"

      "Stop doing it." David told her. "Just stop it."

      "What if someone wants a straw?" Jessica asked.

      "I never said anything about banning them." David recalled, "Just stop handing out unsolicited straws. Make them ask for it, or ask them as they're ordering. If they want one, they'll ask you for it. Make no straw the habit, rather than the waste."

      "I think it's a great idea." Jessica admitted, "If I promise to bring it up with my boss later tonight, can I get back to work?"

     "Of course," David answered, "Sorry."

      "It's okay." Jessica said as she turned away.

      Both men looked at each other as she quickly left.

      "What?" David asked, but he already knew.

      "That was a bit much." Phil said, knowing he was right this time.

      "Alright," David said, calculating his tip. "Thirty percent."

     "Fifty," Phil countered.

     "Thirty-five!"

      "Who's paying for dinner again?"

      David sighed. "Forty?"

      "Deal," Phil said, smiling. "Nicely done though. Will it make a difference?"

      "I hope so," David replied, "I spoiled a chance to get her number, so it better not been in vain."

      "I'm sure the sea turtles appreciate your sacrifice." Phil reminded him.

      David sighed. "They better."