Chapter 15

Author's Note:

Salutations earthlings ! How are y'all ? I hope good because I'm excited to write this :) I had some burst of inspiration today from all my weird friends. Speaking of which did you know Luna is actually my best friend in real life? She's in Victoria right now so we don't talk as much but distance means nothing. Her name however is Drew! If you're reading this I love you ! 

 Song: Locked Out of Heaven - Bruno Mars

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carter's POV

I was walking towards the front door it shouldn't take her that long to answer the door. I turned the around corner and almost bumped into Anthea. When I did a double take I realized there was someone else with her. She had the strangest expression on her face. She leaned in towards Anthea and whispered something I didn't quite catch. Anthea stepped towards me and said, "This is Carter."

I held out my hand in a friendly gesture not wanting to offend Anthea's friend. She grabbed it a little too eagerly still gazing at me. 

"Er.. yea I'm Carter, Anthea's boyfriend" I realized my mistake right after I said it. Her friend's face dropped in disappointment. While Anthea looked at me with her mouth wide open before quickly recollecting herself.

"Well this is Luna, she is going to be in living room while I have a word with you," she glared at me before shooing away Luna. "Ok what was that?" I was hoping for a more content expression. 

"I meant as is guy friend I swear ! It came out wrong, but at least now you don't have to worry about competition, cutie." I winked just to see her blush. She smacked me on the arm and walked away in a puff. I couldn't help but laugh she looked ...kind of cute when she's mad. I know she likes me I just need her to see that she does and I need it done before the end of summer. This goal was within reach. I chased her down the hall still laughing. "Awwe babe don't cry I was kidding," I grabbed her by the arm and turned her around.

"Don't call me babe," Anthea growled. That only made me laugh more.

"Whatever you want... babe," she glared at me but I just stood there, her arm in my hand. I pulled her into a bear hug. She seemed surprised but laid her head on my shoulder. I don't know how long we stood there but it seemed to short a time. When broke apart when someone coughed loudly. Just my luck, it was her grandfather. 

"Well if you're done here it's time to go Anthea," her grandfather gave me a death stare while I stood there emotionlessly. Anthea nudged me with her elbow and I broke into a fake smile and held out my hand. 

"It's nice to see you again sir." 

"Too bad I can't say the same for you Carter." I chuckled humorlessly.

"Nice one, sir." Thank god Anthea called Luna and steered me towards the limo waiting for us outside.The drive to the restaurant was very uncomfortable and awkward. We sat in silence as the city lights flashed by. I sat on one side of Anthea while Luna sat on the other, both Anthea's grandparents sat on the other side in front of us watching my every move. What am I going to do kidnap her while we're in a moving vehicle? They could give me some credit considering I had no criminal record none with any physical proof that is ... I quickly steered my thoughts away from past scars.

The car came to a slow stop and I purposely leaned into Anthea, like I suspected her cheeks turned red and she nonchalantly pushed me off. We all got out of the car and into the restaurant. The atmosphere was dreamy but very sophisticated. After ordering we began the brutal small talk. 

"So Carter what have you been doing this summer?" asked Anthea's grandmother. 

"Well it started off with dance lessons for the...Gala and well just relaxing for the most part." I tried to steer the conversation far away from the Gala as possible because I did not want any arguements tonight. I wanted Anthea to see that I was mature and friendly, I replaced my usual vacant look with a plastered smile that could fool any untrained eye. Unfortunate for me I was dealing with other business folk as well. 

"How...nice" she looked sweetly at Anthea, although there was something dark behind her actions. We didn't talk much after that so instead I conversed with Anthea and Luna. I think Luna was over the whole fangirl thing quicker than most girls I had met. To be honest I think it was only because she seemed like a good friend, something I did not have.

It did not touch me in any way besides after the divorce I could have any girl I wanted and I could laugh at Jasper's outrage when I win this stupid bet. I tried to think of things that would be considered romantic but it was difficult considering my looks did it for most girls. How could it not? I was absolutely perfect.

Anthea tugged at my arm and whispered "Carter pour some wine for grandma, at least try to get on her good side."

"I am trying," I whispered harshly. Her face looked a little frightening so I recovered and stood up pouring the wine. I smiled at Anthea but it was clear that she was mad at me. I don't get it I didn't do anything wrong, women were so sensitive. While pouring the wine I heard a gasp it was Mrs. Towers. When I looked at her she was red with fury, her lap was dripping with wine. Oh god Carter you idiot.

 "My dress! You little inconsiderate-" 

"Grandma he didn't mean it! It was an accident." Anthea's attempt to defend me only made it worse.

"I think it's best we should go now," Mr.Towers said sternly, helping his wife up. Luna was standing there as awkward as I was.  "Waiter! We need the check now." 

"Here I'll pay," I offered. 

"I think you've done enough for tonight Carter.." this time Anthea was giving me the dirty look. Aaaah shit. Her grandfather paid and muttered something like keep the change. The drive back seemed quicker, the driver was probably given some instruction. Everyone quickly got out of the car and into their rooms while me and Anthea hung back at the front door.

"I'm going for a walk!" yelled Anthea over her shoulder. She quickly started down the sidewalk. 

"Wait don't I get a good bye?" I called after her. She didn't answer so I jogged up to her and quickly matched her pace."Anthea what's wrong?" I said cluelessly. She stopped and looked at me keeping a good distance between us.

"What's wrong?! Carter you just ruined the only night I had with my grandparents this summer! Not only that but I never realized how bitter and harsh you could be. The worst part is I'm going to have to see you next week to visit Emily! You're exactly like my grandma said you were, I think it's better if you leave." I stood there shocked at her reaction.

I didn't know what to say, no one talked to me that way. When I didn't say anything she gave me one last look and kept walking. I didn't go after her that time, but with all the mistakes I made that night I think that one was the worst. I watched her shadow get smaller and smaller then slowly turned away towards her house where my car was parked. 

That's when I heard Anthea scream.