Extra: Aelin has Arrived

Aelin Ashryver Galathynius is in Wendlyn.

When Maeve got the news, something in the air changed. She should be shitting herself but instead she looked mischievous. She thought she held all the cards but I couldn't help but laugh. I've seen too many things go wrong in Maeve's favor because of the Queen of Terrasen. Good.

"I'll retrieve and train her at Mistward, your majesty," Fenrys was the first to volunteer. Not that Maeve asked for a volunteer, she had simply called them all there and told them that her niece, the heir of Mab and Brannon, had arrived in Wendlyn.

"Rowan, you'll retrieve the Princess and meet me at Mistward in a week's time." That was all the dismissal they needed.

I stayed perched on the peak of the throne as Maeve and I watched the males leave. Here goes watching Maeve sit on a throne for hours in silence. I really wasn't sure why she kept me around so much.

"Kya, you are to accompany me to Mistward. You know what to do if she tries anything with her fire," she sounded worried.

Protect, is what the blood-sworn bond between us urged me to do. If men that reeked of rotten flesh came near, kill them with a healer's touch. And if fire ever came for her head, put it out or shield her with my own body. That's what I was supposed to do and the more Maeve heard stories of demons, the more paranoid she turned and held me close.

When it was finally time to meet at Mistward, I couldn't contain my excitement. I would see the Queen of Terrasen in the flesh. I wanted to see how Rowan would act around her, if he was smitten already. Most importantly, I wanted to see Maeve tremble.

Mistward was exactly how I remembered it. The community was strong and I often wondered how I would fit in if Maeve didn't see me worthy enough to live in Doranelle. I laugh at the idea of marrying the dishwasher boy that tried to follow me around and get me to talk when I last stayed here. At least I would have been out of Maeve's claws.

Now, I flew over the wards of Mistward, waiting for Rowan and the Queen of Terrasen's arrival. Maeve was already waiting within the building, probably sharpening her fangs. My left wing hooked on a strong wind that had me spiraling and knowing exactly who was coming. As soon as I leveled myself out, I could see two figures on horseback.

Finally.

I raced back to the building, turning into my demi-fae form as I got to the front door. When I opened the door to the room Maeve sat in, she raised a delicate brow in question. I gave a nod, they're coming, and then I shifted into my owl form and perched myself on the back of her chair. Ever since I mouthed off to her on the twins' birthday, she had wanted me in my owl form when around her. Connall said she was tired of my pretty face but I think she was just tired of me in general. It brought me great satisfaction knowing I got under her skin just as much as she got under mine.

We sat in uncomfortable silence for what felt like forever. Maeve tapped her fingers on the desk with an unsteady tempo that only made me more anxious. To make things worse, the office smelled awful. Smelly office, smelly Queen, weird tapping, and anticipation. I was going crazy under my feathers.

I stiffened at the sound of two pairs of feet coming up the stone stairs and down the hall. Maeve stopped her tapping as the door opened.

Even with a layer of dirt on her skin, Aelin Ashryver Galathynius was beautiful. Her blue eyes were piercing and her presence made the room warmer as the fire place seemed to welcome her by burning brighter.

"Hello, Aelin Galathynius," Maeve's voice was laced with poison.

My eyes darted between Rowan and Aelin as the queens talked. I could tell how aware Aelin was of her surroundings as her eyes darted around the room in an analyzing way and finally landed on me. She narrowed her eyes as they traveled down my feathers questioningly and then back to Maeve. She's probably wondering who I am. I was flattered each time her eyes darted to me.