Chapter 8

Hunter’s POV two days later

I was walking around with these mixed emotions. Fear, lust, love, anger, sadness, joy. It was all there, but not all of it was my own.

Rose was taking over every sense of my body and she didn’t even know it. I hadn’t even seen her since the night in the ocean; I had been avoiding her at all costs. At first all I had felt was joy and confusion from her, but soon it turned into hurt for avoiding her and bailing on her, then it turned into annoyance and now there was no doubt about it, Rose was pissed.

It didn’t help that she could track me down without even realising it. Lucky for me I knew exactly what was going on, well, sort of. I could sense when she was getting close and I would bolt. Since she was still sort of afraid of the water I would just bail over bored if she got close.

I was struggling with my own emotional turmoil. On the one hand, I was so in love and so happy that I was afraid I was going to burst. On the other, I knew that we could never be together, that left an aching sadness in my heart and an anger so fierce that even I was surprised by it.

I was so busy thinking about this one day that I didn’t even sense her until it was too late. I was sitting on a deck chair and looked up just to see her glaring down at me.

“Will you explain what the hell is going on please?” She demanded in a deadly calm voice

My first instinct was to bolt, but I knew she would catch me eventually and that I would be in even more trouble then. I sighed, running my hand through my hair.

“What do you want to know?”  I asked, out into the setting sun

Rose sat down on the chair opposite me

“I want to know why the hell you kissed me, and then bailed” She said “I want to know why I feel so devastated about it. I want to know why I feel like I’m feeling things that aren’t really part of me. Hunter what the hell is going on?”

So she was beginning to figure out the connection, that wasn’t good. I was hoping that I could just ignore it until I got her to her mother and then I could disappear. She wouldn’t even understand why she suddenly felt so lost, over time it would fade and she wouldn’t even realise any of it anymore.

“Well” Rose prompted “I’m waiting”

I opened my mouth to say something but just as I took a breath I smelled it. My stomach clenched and the hair on the back of my neck stood on end. In a flash I was on my feet and my eyes were darting around the deck.

“Rose” I said quietly “Come here”

She must have sensed trouble as well, because her fierce expression melted into fear and she didn’t hesitate when she reached for my hand and I pulled her close to me.

“What’s wrong?” She whispered, her own eyes darting around in fear.

“The resistance” I growled “Their here”

Rose’s POV

“I want you to go down to your room and lock the door” Hunter said quietly, already ushering me towards the stairs “Hide and don’t come out until I come for you”

I was trembling inside, moments ago I had been boiling mad with this man, now I was afraid I would never see him again.

“Hunter” I began to say

Just then there was a  big bang and the wooden banister beside us exploded. Hunter pushed my out of the way, dragging me down the stairs at the same time.