Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Rose’s POV

Okay, I was really starting to get bored in this room, wasn’t it night time yet? Every time I got the inclination to go outside something inside me held me back.

I was lying on my bed starring at the ceiling, one arm tossed over the side of the bed carelessly while the other supported the back of my head. I sighed heavily.

“I want out!” I grumbled to myself “I’m bored”

But of course nothing happened, so I was left only with my thoughts. My mind began to wander to the past couple days and of course, to Hunter and how he continued to be there exactly when I needed him.

It was strange, but he was supposed to be my protector right? Maybe he was just really good at his job.

But then I thought about the wounded expression on his face when I had begun to have sour thoughts about what he was, was it really that plane on my face how upset I was about what I was going to become? I didn’t want to hurt him; it actually hurt me when I thought he was hurt.

Which was nerve racking for me, I didn’t want to have feelings for that man. He was the reason I was here, until he saved me on the beach that day my life was perfectly normal. Now I was days away from becoming a mermaid, which I now learned was part vampire. How freaky was that? I didn’t want to become that, I was perfectly happy being human, I rather liked having legs.

But Hunter hates you as a human, a little voice in the back of my mind said; if you stayed human he would be gone forever.

I shivered involuntarily, why did Hunter leaving scare me so much?

The door opened and I jumped up. Hunter stepped inside, wearing a plaid pair of shorts and a navy blue t-shirt that fit him perfectly, my eyes lingered for a moment.

“We’re here” he said, his voice a little gruff “You can come out now if you want, Troy and I were going to go ashore for dinner. Do you want to come?”

I blinked a couple of times; clearing my mind from the dangerous territory it was heading into. I unfolded my legs and stood up.

“Sure” I said “Where are we going?”

Hunter smiled

“The only place to eat on this island” He said “Come on I will show you”

The island was beautiful, the beach was all white sand with the odd colorful shell or stone scattered here and there. There was a little hut nestled in the trees just up the beach. Turns out it was a really small tavern, with only a couple of tables and one tan bar man.

“Hunter” The man said when he came to our table “I wouldn’t have ever expected to see you here”

“Neither did I” Hunter replied “But plans change”

I watched the exchange with curiosity, Hunter’s eyes flashed to mine and they softened immediately.

“Rose, this is Pedro” He said, gesturing to the man “He runs the tavern here on the island”

“Pleasure to meet you” Pedro offered me his hand and a wide smile “Welcome to the island”

“Thank you” I said politely “It’s beautiful here”

“That it is” Pedro agreed “Though we don’t often get pretty ladies here such as yourself”

I opened my mouth to give back a flirty reply but a wave of anger came over me, it hit me so fast that I didn’t understand it. I clamped my jaw shut and starred down at the table in shock. What the hell was going on?