Chapter Fifteen

Luca opened his mouth to say something, but then seemed to think better of it

          Luca opened his mouth to say something, but then seemed to think better of it. Clenching his jaw, he sent a penetrating look my way before he made his way back to the front of the classroom. "Please pay attention," he said, not looking our way again.

         Christian sent me a baffled look, as Luca carried on with the rest of the lesson. I shrugged in response, my good humor having long faded. 

          I didn't relax again until we left the classroom, and even then, I was still worried. I looked at the time, wondering if Donna had been released from the hospital yet, if she'd gotten Sammy back. I had so many questions for her; like who the hell Will was. Not Sammy's father – I'd gathered that much. Donna had never brought up Sammy's dad, and I'd never asked, not wanting to open up old wounds. But as a friend, shouldn't I have known that she had a crazy ex out there? I couldn't help but worry that Will might seek Sammy out, and make good on his threat. I'd opened up to Donna about the whole Luca and Christian predicament, but I was only now realizing that she had secrets of her own.

          I was walking towards the school cafeteria when I heard someone yell my name. "Camilla, you are in so much shit." I turned around, seeing Vera come to an abrupt stop, just before she collided with me. "What the hell? I had to hear about yesterday through Damian, who heard it from Christian, who heard it from your mom! Why didn't you tell me? Why didn't you text me back, for that matter?"

           "I'm so sorry. I was busy, and with everything that happened, I kind of forgot about it." I shrugged sheepishly. 

           "You forgot you had a best friend?" she asked, putting a hand on her hip. "This year is already going to be terrible with our conflicting schedules. We have to make the most of it outside of school, so no more blowing me off!"

           "Sorry," I said again, feeling bad. If things had been semi-normal and our roles were reversed, I would have been upset if she'd ignored me. As it was, with so many things on my mind, I'd probably just shrug it off now. I did miss her. I'd hardly spent any time with her since she got back from vacation. I just had too much crazy stuff going on.

           "Good." She smiled, already over it. Vera wasn't one to hold grudges. "Let's go out today, after school. Shopping?" she proposed, pushing a strand of her black hair behind her ear.

           "Oh..." I stalled. "I'm going to Donna's place after last period, and then I have a date with Christian."

           "Since when was your schedule so busy? Do you think you can pencil me in sometime this week?" She linked her arm through mine as we began to make our way down the corridor.

           "I think so. I'll have to check my itinerary first though, just to be sure," I teased.

           "Oh, of course. You do that and get back to me," she said, rolling her eyes. She gave me a quick hug, and headed into a classroom.