Chapter Twenty-Seven

Sammy whimpered and that seemed to snap all of us out of our moods

           Sammy whimpered and that seemed to snap all of us out of our moods. Donna went over to him, curling her body around his much smaller frame.

           You scared me, baby. I'm sorry I yelled, Donna said to the cowering pup, nipping at the collar of his neck. He hesitated for a moment, but then shuffled closer to her, his tail beginning to waggle again.

           Luca moved off to the side, not really looking at me. It didn't help that mine and Christian's scents, intertwined together, were wafting towards us from the cabin. He stood tall and proud, watching the waterfall. But even in wolf form, I could see the rigidity in his body. I could feel the jealousy coming off of him in waves.

           For the first time that night, I let my wolf guide me and not the part of me that was human. I moved closer to him, trusting that my wolf would know what to do.

           I licked at his collar, nuzzling my face into his fur. I couldn't help but let a whine slip free of my mouth as he continued to remain unresponsive. But I didn't let that deter me. My wolf wouldn't give up that easily, nor was she thrilled at being ignored.

           I could hear Keaton, Donna and Sammy retreat, giving us privacy, and I was thankful for it. In minutes they'd covered enough distance that I couldn't hear them at all.

           I felt Luca step closer to me, resigned. His body brushed against mine as he settled down on the ground. He didn't say anything through the bond, and I had a feeling that he was trying to collect his thoughts. I stayed quiet, glad he was not letting his jealousy and hurt get the best of him.

           But I didn't stay unmoving.

           I'd let my wolf guide me, and now she was closer to the surface than she'd ever been before. I felt closer to her. Looser. Uninhibited. I nipped a little harder at Luca's collar, a possessive and affectionate gesture. I licked and nuzzled at everything accessible to me, letting him know I cared, and that I was sorry. It felt more sincere this way to my wolf. Body language really was the most expressive form of communication – not speech.

           Luca gradually began to soften under my attention. I couldn't help the flicker of triumph I felt, knowing my mate was affected by me and unable to resist giving me what I wanted.

            What am I going to do with you, tesoro? The words were playful, but held undertones of exhaustion. I could tell that he was annoyed at himself for losing control and expressing his displeasure.

           My wolf whined. It wasn't his fault, it was mine.

           Having Luca so upset with me... it was unbearable. It hurt so much. I couldn't stand it.

          You don't have to hide what you're feeling from me, I said softly. You can be upset.

           I'm not upset with you, Mila. Luca's voice in my mind was quiet and remorseful. He'd obviously heard my thoughts... felt how I felt. I just – I can't help but resent him a little. He has no notion of any of this. I know it's not fair to blame him. But he has had you, and that alone is enough to have my wolf calling for blood.