Chapter Twenty-Nine (Part 2)

I stared at the mirror in front of me with a critical eye the next day

           I stared at the mirror in front of me with a critical eye the next day. I was dressed for the occasion, wearing a white dress that was quite short, stopping several inches above my knees. But it was really modest at the top and so I thought it was appropriate for meeting Luca's parents later on. I'd paired the look with white heels and a long necklace, and was eager to get the evening started.

           I looked different, but I couldn't quite place what it was that was standing out to me. I hadn't put on any weight so that wasn't it – even though I was eating all the freaking time lately. Werewolf metabolism, Luca had explained one night on the phone. Apparently it was much more efficient than that of humans.

           I wasn't human anymore.

           Not fully.

           I had come to terms with it. I even enjoyed a lot of the aspects of being a wolf. But the loneliness I sometimes felt when I was away from Luca and Donna was hard. I felt like I could be myself, completely, around them. But with others, including Mom and Dad, the feeling of being an outsider looking in had only intensified. I was who I was though, and I was never going back.

           I applied some more eye shadow and mascara, loving how it illuminated the grey in my eyes. I slipped my lipstick into my jacket pocket for any touch-ups, along with my cell phone and I was ready to go.

           Walking downstairs, I found Dad drinking coffee at the kitchen table.

           "You look beautiful, sweetheart." He stood up as I came closer, and placed a quick kiss on my forehead. "Now, if only your mom would hurry up." He smacked his lips and rubbed his stomach. My appetite this past month had rivalled his own. But Dad was... big. Tall and wide. I was much shorter, and much much thinner. The food really seemed to be disappearing as soon as I ate it.

           "Really, Adam? That stomach of yours is like an endless pit," Mom said disparagingly as she walked into the kitchen, but she gave him a quick kiss and a brownie as she headed towards the counter and picked up the pie she'd cooked earlier and carefully packed. Mom could act tough as a cookie, but she was a softie at heart.

           "God, I love you woman," Dad said gratefully, biting into it. "Both my women," he added, ruffling my hair.

           Like any normal teen who'd spent an hour in front of the mirror with a curling iron, I glowered, patting my hair back into place. I'd left it down, using a clip to keep the top strands away from my face and the rest free to flow down my back.

           Mom rolled her eyes, but smiled. "You are earning yourself a one way ticket to high cholesterol and obesity, Adam."

           "You know you love my body really..." Dad whispered quietly to Mom, unaware that I could hear everything he was saying thanks to my werewolf abilities. Oh god. Oh god.