Chapter Thirty-One

Luca's POV

Luca's POV

           I stepped out of my lawyer's office, feeling an optimism and contentment that I rarely felt when not in the presence of my mate. This was exactly what I needed. Something tangible that reminded me of good things to come.

           I stepped into the elevator, eager to get out of the realtor's office, and head over to the house I now called my own. It was perfect. I could imagine Mila and me there so clearly... someday. Granted, that was years in the future and the place needed some work, but I had plenty of time on my hands now that I was taking a year off from teaching. What better way to spend my time, than working towards something worthwhile?

           I parked my car in the spacious driveway, and got out. I stared at my house – I still couldn't believe it – appraisingly. The house itself looked charming on the outside; it only needed maybe a lick of paint on the windowsills, and a new front door. The yard... that was another matter entirely. The grass outside was scarce and an unhealthy-looking yellowish colour. The earth on the ground, exposed by the lack of living plants, looked dry and cracked. Yard landscaping wasn't really my fort, but I'd get some help on that.

           I took out the keys my lawyer had just handed me, and opened the front door. It creaked obnoxiously as I pushed it open. Yeah, it was definitely going. Stepping inside, I walked around from room to room. I'd already been here once before, but now I mentally made a list of things that needed to be done and of materials and tools that I'd need to buy.

           When I'd had my fill and had finished snapping a few pictures on my phone, I headed back to the apartment. The house I was leaving behind already felt like home. The neighbourhood was nice, and the forest wasn't too far away. It was perfect for us.

           "Everything sorted, then?" Keaton asked, as I shut the front door behind me. He was shovelling pasta into his mouth at a rapid pace, holding his bowl right under his chin. I shook my head at his table manners, and then cringed as I realized just how much I sounded like mià mamma.

           "Yeah, everything's in order," I said, depositing my keys and some paperwork on the coffee table. I picked up the stack of essays I had to mark before school let out for Christmas, and settled onto the couch.

           "What's Mila think of this?" Keaton asked, in interest. "I mean, you bought the place for the two of you, didn't you? A love nest of sorts."

           "She doesn't know, nor will she be finding out for a while." I told him, the threat clear in my stare. "I think it'd scare her, hell, half the things that run through my head would probably terrify her," I admitted, mostly to myself.

           "I'll bet." Keaton snickered. I growled warningly at him, not even bothering to fully acknowledge him as I started marking the first essay. Grading papers was hell on earth. Once I was finished with this stack, I had another batch from my other classes to go through.