Chapter Thirty

I spent the next week reeling from the news Trevor had revealed at Thanksgiving

          I spent the next week reeling from the news Trevor had revealed at Thanksgiving. I just didn't know what to think. I was already an anomaly because I hadn't been born a werewolf, but this was something else altogether.

          I focused on Christian and school – wolves and possible gifts taking a backseat in my mind. At some point over the weekend, I'd become more aware of my future and how I was flushing it down the toilet by taking no interest in school.

          The following Friday night, I spent hours in my bedroom catching up on calculus homework, pausing only when Mom popped her head around my door. "Hey, sweetie. I'm going for a run. Would you like to join me?"

          She'd gone running a number of times this week, and at first, I'd thought she was only doing it for me. Kind of egotistical, I know. But I thought she'd noticed how I'd stopped going out for runs – well at least not in my human skin – and that she'd been worried. The more I declined, and the more she continued with the regime, the more I began to believe that she ran just to run. It seemed to be doing her a world of good; I could see how much more tranquil she was once she came back.

          I'd been in my bedroom since I came home from school, waiting for Christian to call once he got back from his hospital appointment. The wait was kind of killing me, and I needed a break from studying, so I agreed. "Sure, just let me change." I heaved myself off my bed, heading to the closet.

          Mom stepped further into the room, looking surprised, but pleased, that I'd accepted her offer. She sat down on my bed as she waited for me, dressed in black three-quarter leggings and a tank top.

          I'd always loved to run in the evenings, and it was especially necessary to camouflage my wolf now. I'd be able to run in the mornings if I was in my human skin, but I couldn't let loose that way. I'd have to pace myself in front of witnesses.

          Kind of like I had to do with Mom while we ran. I hadn't realized just how much she'd slow me down, now that my stamina and agility had improved. The run, a pale comparison to running as a wolf, had me craving more.

          Mom was panting with exertion beside me, and I tried to mimic her breathing. Unsuccessfully.

          "I'm not as young as I used to be," Mom puffed as we arrived back home. She put her hands on her waist and bent down, trying to stretch out her muscles. She straightened as our neighbour came out of his house, making his way down the street with his dog. Mom waved, smiling brightly, but wilted as soon as the dog and its owner were out of sight. "This is embarrassing."

          "You did great," I encouraged, and she had. Her speed might have rivalled my own back before I'd first shifted.

          "Says the girl who isn't even out of breath! I think, next time, I should just go at my own pace instead of pushing myself to match yours." Mom looked accusingly at me, shaking her head. What could I say? That I hadn't even been trying in the first place? That would go over well.