Chapter Three

After getting that text from Christian, I sat around morosely, feeling rather sorry for myself

          After getting that text from Christian, I sat around morosely, feeling rather sorry for myself. I shed a few tears and ended up having a long hot shower as I thought of what to do next.

          I didn't text him back, and I had no idea what I'd do if he called. If I confronted him, would he lie to me?  I felt far too defeated and not to mention a little humiliated. I didn't want anyone else catching a whisper about this. I was guessing that nobody else knew. Damian sure hadn't had a clue. Christian had used both of us as an excuse not to hang out with the other.

          Just thinking about him was hurting my heart.

         I finally got out of the shower when I had as many wrinkles as a prune, and padded off to my bedroom to get ready for work. I only worked two shifts a week as a waitress for one of the most prestigious restaurants in town. One of my shifts was on a Saturday and the other on a Sunday. Even though it was summer, I hadn't picked up any extra days. Two shifts were more than enough for me. The pay was great and a part-time job looked great on college applications – which had been the only reason I hadn't quit after my first day there. Working in customer service would try anyone's patience.

          I brushed and dried my hair, standing in front of the mirror. I liked leaving it to dry naturally and loved the way it tended to curl at the ends, but my hair was too long and there wasn't enough time for it to air dry today. I left it down as I pulled on a white button-up shirt with the restaurants logo on it. Black tights and a black pencil skirt came on next, before I pulled my hair up into a neat ponytail.

          I hurried out of the house, locking the door behind me. I wanted to turn right back around, run upstairs and hide under my covers. But I couldn't call in sick so close to my shift. The other waitresses would end up having to pick up my slack. I practically had to force myself to walk to my car, trying my very hardest not to think about Christian.

          As I stuck my key into the ignition, I caught sight of the key ring attached to it. It was a few years old, from when Christian and I had been just friends. We'd been around twelve at the time, and I could remember our day out at the theme-park clearly. The picture was of the two of us on a rollercoaster ride; our hands were clasped between our seats and we both had our mouths wide open as we screamed. I felt a pang of nostalgia hit me as I stared at it. Life had been so simple, so easy back then.

          ***

          "Hey, you're late. Get your ass here now!" Donna yelled, as I slipped into the kitchen through the back entrance.

          I was immediately hit with the heat and the overwhelming smell of the kitchen. It could have been mouth-watering – if it was just one or maybe two dishes being cooked – but the combination of dozens of meals being prepared all over the kitchen caused the aroma to be less than appealing.