Chapter 2

"Kiddo you're going to be late for your first day!" I hear dad shout from downstairs. Stupid alarm not going off on time...Ok, I forgot to set an alarm when I got back from the Wyrm last night, don't judge me. Back to the present...

Good thing I packed my bag and picked out my outfit before heading out to the Wyrm. I know I said that I do ditch school sometimes but something about ditching the first day back at school doesn't sit quite right you know. Quickly checking I look decent, I grab my bag and rush to down the stairs.

"Daddy, have you seen my Serpent jacket?" I shout down the hallway. I know what you're thinking, don't the Southside Serpents live in the Sunnyside Trailer Park? Technically speaking, yes. Dad does have a trailer in the park under his name which he still pays rent for. Why do we live in a decently sized house on the border of the North and South sides of this ridiculous town? Mother dearest owns this property, though with her not here, I'm not quite sure how dad and I are able to stay here or how he manages to pay rent for this house and the trailer. My only guess is the Snake Charmer and her favours are helping us afford both, though I really hope that I'm wrong...

"Here kid," dad says as he hands me the jacket, "you sure you can wear that at school?"

"Weatherbee did say that as long as I don't cause too much trouble and don't display gang behaviour I can wear it. Though you know full well I don't wear it around the school because I get too hot. Plus like FP says I'll be laying low in tall grass," I explain for what feels like the thousandth time. No, dad and I are in no way ashamed of being Serpents, they are family after all. However, dad doesn't want me to get trouble for being a serpent in a high school filled with the Northsiders and their privilege.

"Now, sorry dad, I love you but Cheryl is outside so I really have to go," I say as I sidestep around him and out the front door towards Cheryl's car.

***

I really hate school assemblies. Like I hate them with a passion so I normally skip them but today is different. I'm stood up front, facing the whole school. I didn't even have time to put my jacket into my locker so this is making me feel awkward. Well and probably my blue hair isn't very Northside-esque itself but oh well Jones' were born to stand out. Never in my life did I think I would be stood at here in front of the whole school with the school board and Cheryl. The things I do for this girl...

"...and for that reason, I would like to ask the school board to not cancel the back-to-school dance," Cheryl concludes her speech. Good thing I'm only here for moral support.

Cheryl takes a step back to stand beside me again and whispers a quick thank you. I simply nod and smile at her. She may be Riverdale's very own HBIC but she's one of my best friends, I'll always have her back.

After the announcement of the dance not being cancelled, I excuse myself from Cheryl telling her I'll meet her in class while making my way to my locker. I take my Serpent leather jacket and place it in my locker. No, I'm not ashamed, I'm just laying low in tall grass. I pick up my books and place them in my bag.

"Please tell me again how and why you're friends with Cheryl," I hear a voice I know all too well beside me.

"Is that Jughead Jones speaking to a snake willingly?" I question while shutting my locker getting ready to walk off to class.

"You're the only snake I'll talk to," he argues while keeping up with me. I simply roll my eyes at his statement. Why can't you just accept that you're from the Southside Jug?

"Whatever you say, now if you excuse me I have to get to my seat," I say as we enter the classroom. What? I'm not giving the kid a hard time. I'm simply keeping an eye on him like I agreed to. I don't have to be best friends with my cousin if I don't want to.