Chapter 10

I stared at my clock as it clicked to seven o’clock and the radio alarm filled my room with trashy pop junk. Sighing, I blocked the noise out with a pillow while simultaneously trying to turn off the alarm. I was supposed to be well rested for my first day at work at one of the NYU campus libraries, but instead I was up all night with anxiety.

For the past two weeks, since the night of the frat party, I’ve been trying to ready myself for the start of my first year at NYU. I’m lucky they gave me a week in advance in the library to settle down before starting my classes.

Macy begged me to hold off on working, since she had my tuition covered. But I’d rather not depend too much on anyone for anything. Plus, I felt bad for being the only one in the house without an income.

“Charlie,” Macy’s raspy morning voice called from the other side of my door, “Time to get ready for work.”

“I’m up.” I groaned.

Today was supposed to be happy and exciting. Instead, it was gloomy and tiring.

These were the days that I was thankful for having my own bathroom. That meant I didn’t have to exit my room, which was always about ten degrees warmer than the living room.

I turned the shower on and took out the outfit I had Bambi help me pick out yesterday. I was going to be wearing an oversized cream sweater with brown leather elbow patches and black leggings. I decided to pair them with some brown combat boots. Bambi wanted me to go for something edgier, but seven o’clock in the morning was way too early for leather pants.

After my shower and getting dressed I threw my hair into a braided bun, while still trying to wake myself up. I’m going to need some coffee.  

It was only 7:45 and Macy had already gone away to work. Harry was still asleep on the couch and I could hear the TV in Travis’ room. I went to the kitchen to brew a cup of coffee.

Macy’s old red coffee maker was making weird noises and spitting out chunks of ground up coffee instead of the smooth black beverage that I wanted. I groaned in aggravation and hit the machine, hoping it would start working.

“Stop.” I heard Harry call out from the couch.

I felt bad for waking him up, but I wanted my coffee. I sighed and walked to Travis’ room to ask him for help.

“Hey, Trav,” I opened his door and was caught off guard by the sight in front of me.

A girl, with no clothes on, was on top of Travis. I quickly exited the room, my face burning red.

“What the fuck!” Travis exclaimed, pushing the girl off of him.

All I saw was a flash of blondish-brown hair before she fell onto the other side of the bed and I turned away.

“What are you doing?!” Travis and I yelled simultaneously.

“Are you kidding me? This is my room!” Travis yelled, running to the door to shut it.

He left enough space for his head to poke out.

“What do you want?” he hissed at me.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” I replied stifling a giggle, “Did I interrupt someone’s morning booty call?”

“I think the real question is,” Harry suddenly stood besides me in nothing but his boxers,”Is he the booty or the call?”

“You fuckers.” Travis growled at us.

“No...I think that would be you.” I laughed at him.

“Who is she, Travis?” Harry smiled as he placed his hand on the door, threatening to open it, “Tell us who your mystery girl is.”