Chapter 8

AGENTS TONY DEACON AND BRUCE KERN arrived at the headquarters for Dryden Pharmaceuticals just after two that same afternoon. As they walked into the building, Bruce whistled in amazement at how lavish the lobby they entered was. The tiles on the floor were marble, and there was fine art on every wall. Clearly put together by one of the best interior decorators that money could buy. For a company that did nothing more than push drugs, the place looked more like a five-star resort rather than a corporate headquarters. Bruce couldn't believe what he was seeing, and Tony noticed.

     "Pharmaceutical Drugs are a massive industry, Agent Kerns." Tony said as they strolled through the palace like lobby. "We're talking billions a year in profit. Places like this are making it rich by overselling their drugs overseas and charging a hefty price to their own base here too. This place is no different than the mansion that houses a drug cartel. These people make money pushing drugs, some that I personally believe should be taken off the market."

     "Don't hold back Tony, tell me how really feel." Bruce requested sarcastically as they strolled through the massive foyer.

     Tony laughed out loud but became all business when he reached the main desk.

     "Hi there," Tony started, "I'd like to speak to the person in charge of records."

     "I'm sorry, you're not authorized." The guard replied.

     This is when Tony reached into his pocket and produced a badge. It was always amazing how those three navy letters on the top portion of the credentials stuck out like a sore thumb and always managed to get someone's attention. "I'm special agent Deacon and this is Agent Kerns. We're here to speak with the person in charge of records. I'd recommend you contact someone and ask that person to co-operate fully because I'd hate to come back with warrant and twenty more agents, and maybe even a tactical unit."

     "Let me see if I can get someone you can talk with." The guard said before jumping on the phone at his desk. He spoke with someone on the phone for a few moments and explained what was going on and then listened to the person's response.

     "Someone will be down to speak with you in a moment." The guard told them.

     "We'll be over there." Tony said as he pointed to the lush sofas by the fountain.

     Both Tony and Bruce walked over to the fancy sofas and sat down to relax.

     "Did we get into the wrong industry or what?" Tony asked.

     "Nope." Bruce said without hesitation. "If I wanted to be a drug dealer, I would've stayed in the old neighborhood and did it myself."

     "Touché." Tony said with a smile as he looked around. He wasn't the biggest advocate of the drug industry and could tell Bruce wasn't too keen about it either. "So, this is the house that everyone's pills are made."

     "Well, if you thought what's going over here is bad," Bruce responded, "The racket they're running here ain't nothing compared to what's going on in Africa. I'd shut this whole place down if I could."

     They sat there in silence after that exchange for a few moments until a lovely young lady came into the lobby to greet them.

     "Hello there," the young woman started, "My name is Sandi and I'm with the legal department. I've been told you requested to look at some of our records?"

     "Yes, it involves a serious matter of someone that used to work here." Tony said, as he got up off the couch. "Your co-operation would be appreciated as we could use your records to complete our investigation."